Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,074   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Bummer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Neil as far as the window, I put blinds then a shade that has tracks on either side (made from garage door seals) then black curtains lined white. That way when not using the dark room I get fresh air and light and when in use it is light tight.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Images
    The light problem is solved. Black foamcore is opaque, cheap, lightweight and easy to cut. In one window I cut it to fit around the air conditioner and seal the edges for the summer with black tape. For the other window I have board with felt weatherstrip on the edges that I put in place when I want to print. There is a window in the door ( about a foot from my paper safe) that I can put a board on temporarily with velcro.

This system has worked out great. It takes moments to set up and, without the safelights on, it is probably dark enough to load film even on the sunniest day. (Although I have a small, windowless room for that) .

Clueless, (Sorry, That sounds really insulting )
    I've found it to be a very good solution. Obviously not as durable as using masonite or wooden boards but much easier to to work with. A razor blade will customise it to fit individual needs. I've seen no fading even on the external black paper. I assume that it would fade if exposed to constant direct daylight long enough but don't know if that would affect its opaqueness. If you leave a sheet leaning against a wall for several days it will start to bow but light pressure will push it flat.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Don't get me wrong. I'm no big fan of slippery roads and shoveling snow but now that the leaves are just starting to bud on the trees, I'm beginning to confront the downside aspects of summer.
    Living in Devon, UK, I don't have any problems with excessive heat (excessive rain, yes) but hate shutting myself away in the darkroom when it's sunny outside. Sometimes I even find myself hoping for grotty weather so I don't feel guilty about spending a sunny Saturday afternoon in a red glow!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to simply chill my developer and let the stop/fix/wash be whatever the temperature happened to be. Then I began using Efke PL100 and had problems with pinholes in the emulsion from temperatures variations between solutions. Chilling wasn't an option as I'm using about four gallons of each solution at a time. I worked out times for minimal agitation at 80F. Seems to work just fine.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    And, if you do happen to have a basement, is it cool enough to store chems and water?
    my darkroom is in the basement. during the winter its around 65-68F and in the summer its like 68-72. I store my chems down there with no problems. Usually the water coming out of my tap can be as cold as the low 60s in the summer.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin