Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,366   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Bummer

Images

Summer Bummer

Don't get me wrong. I'm no big fan of slippery roads and shoveling snow but now that the leaves are just starting to bud on the trees, I'm beginning to confront the downside aspects of summer.

The days of just dropping the blinds at 4:30 pm and printing away are gone. Even now it doesn't get dark enough until almost eight o'clock and it's only going to get worse. Starting a printing session at 10 just ain't my style since Alison Steele (The Nightbird) left WNEW FM. Last year, I cut black foamcore to block the windows but took them down for the winter. Time to put them back up.

Before long I am going to have to start bringing my solutions _down_ to 20C instead of up and my tap water is going to running at 22C +. If anyone has a cheap and convenient solution to that problem, I'm all ears. I'd rather save my ice for Bloody Marys.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Ah, Alison Steele. Neal, you bring back memories...

My house has air conditioning. I generally keep four, one gallon bottles filled with water at 70F ((ambient temperature in my darkroom) somehow the coldest room in my house in summer). This covers everything except washing prints, which is faster at 75F anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here the desert Southwest my tap is 90+ from May to Oct. Air Conditioning is a must, but holding the house at 70 is just expensive. The only options I know of are chillers, such as found in drinking fountains or a homemade chiller for the tap. I do have a homemade chiller for negative wash and keep water at 70 for 10 or 11 with one 7 pound bag of ice. For the most part I develop in Diafine at room temperature, or use B@W C41 and just stick to color until November.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm like Tom and keep water in old milk jugs and then process with the chems all at ambient temperature.

It was very odd when I developed my negs yesterday at 7pm instead of the usual 10-11pm--finally got a black plastic curtain up the other day to block the light around the door (darkroom is in a windowless bathroom).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For film developing, I keep an empty Rodinal bottle in the fridge and use that to mix up the 20°C solution for the developer.

Stop, Fix? Paper Dev? Who cares what temp it has as long it stays below 30°C?
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I now have a 14 cu ft fridge in the garage for my film. This year, I'll keep a couple of gallons of water in there that I can mix with tap water to bring it up to 68F.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    During summer (we're just finished that) I have to cool the developer and I keep a jug in the fridge to use to get the developer mixed to the temp I want. I particulary hot days/nights, I find I have to rest the tank inbetween agitations in cold (from the fridge) water to stop the developer temp rising too much (I use Paterson tanks that allow the thermometer to be used during use). In winter, the room, which is part of the house is warm enough that I don't need to heat the tank to keep the developer warm, as long as it is right going into the tank it is ok for the duration of development.

For washing, I'm at the mercy of my cold water temp as we have a instant gas hot water service which can't deliver 20C water at suitable volume for washing (i.e. by the time you mix enough cold to get it down to that the flow is too great). Once it gets too cold coming straight out of the tap, I use the Ilford wash method working from a bucket of water tempered to suit. I have a little inline temp gauge on the tap which in the last week or so has been showing 19.8C to 20.2C. One day it was showing 20.0 and I nearly took a picture of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep a couple of 1L bottle half-filled with water in the freezer. One of those in with my summer tap water brings my small cooling tub to 68 degrees in about 10 minutes and the temperature is steady enough from there.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neal, on the subject of light tightness, I discovered expandable foam. Don't know if you can afford to mess up your work area with this stuff, but my new darkroom is in the basement, and it doesn't matter. But for those hard-to-get-to cracks and holes, there's nothing like it. And, if you do happen to have a basement, is it cool enough to store chems and water?
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black foam-core window plugs. Please elaborate re "issues": E.g., thickness, fading, warping, adhereing, Etc.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin