Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,256   Online: 997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega D5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega D5

A few questions regarding this enlarger:

A friend of mine who i've known for a while is considering getting rid of his enlarger (D5) and i'm considering purchasing it (he went to the darkside digital). my main question is how tall is it from base to highest position? (since i'm building a new darkroom i'd like to know so i can plan for it in my darkroom (limited ceiling hieght) Second i see them on ebay from about 150-350 (but no ones bid on them) He said he doesn't even know what they go for now adays and he said he'd make me a deal (but i don't want to screw him out of money) As far as i know its got a few neg carriers (35mm, 6x6, 4X5) and a lens torret with three "good" lenses (i think maybe nikkor) to do the above negative sizes.

what do you think would be a fair offer?

ps. as far as i've heard this is a quality enlarger...i printed on one in college a few times and liked it

pss. i'm using a beseler 67C right now and i believe the D5 is an upgrade.

thanks in advance!
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it the D5 or D5XL?

If it has got good lenses on it and you want to give him a fair amount then tell him $250.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    Check this link. A lot of information. Also classic-enlargers is good.

www.khbphotografix.com

On ebay I think shipping one of these beasts plays into less interest in one.
    I have a D4 which I put a Omegalite on. It's a real beast/beauty. Shipping one of these would be a hassle packing it. I got mine no head, or cones but with focusing tracks, the right ones in real nice condition for a whole $50 !.

Ebay is a good source for negative carriers.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a D5XL with a Dichroic II head, mounted on the baseboard (rather than a wall mount). The distance from the table the baseboard sits on to the top of the head at full extension is about 61 inches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to be honest i don't know if its a D5 or D5XL (though i will ask him on monday) anyway whats the difference (i'm assuming is the column height?)

$250 sounds do-able

another perhaps odd question: I should have no trouble getting it into a basement and through typical sized doors right? Just making sure
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what size the D5 is, but I know the column is shorter than the D5XL which is 61" at full extension as Jerry said, but about 6-8" shorter than that when not at full extension.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To transport this type you would be better off making the head, baseboard and column into three parts. I got mine up in Phoenix and this was the easiest way to move and then set it up. Have a friend hold things for you as you set it up again.

$250 sounds like a fair price. If he tries to sell it out of town, shipping will increase the cost a lot and make things difficult for him.

I like mine a lot. Does it have the Dichroic head for V/C B&W paper? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    panchromatic,
    When you move this critter, It'll be easier if you remove the baseboard & head/condenser assembly. I usually would then run the carriage assy all the way to the top so if something loosens up you don't have it launch itself off the column.
    It's not especially heavy, just unwieldy. Whether it's an XL or not getting it through doorways can be interesting, usually tall enough to bang on the doorframe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    panchromatic,
    When you move this critter, It'll be easier if you remove the baseboard & head/condenser assembly. I usually would then run the carriage assy all the way to the top so if something loosens up you don't have it launch itself off the column.
    It's not especially heavy, just unwieldy. Whether it's an XL or not getting it through doorways can be interesting, usually tall enough to bang on the doorframe
    I won't have to worry too much about transportation, he lives a mere 2 miles away, and I do have access to a truck... but i will more than likely remove the baseboard and condenser assembly when bringing it into the house.
    --Ryan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd definitely follow shaggy's advice.. You don't want to bang the condenser and head.. Those counterbalance springs are STRONG. With no condenser, you can easily knock yourself out if it zips up and hits you in the chin.

I've a D2 and it's not unwieldly. I brought it in and assembled it by myself and I am a smaller guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin