Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,906   Online: 1182

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Agfa - vs - Ilford FB paper

Just got some Agfa FB paper to test. I'm very impressed! Compared some prints of the identical neg I just did for a show using Ilford paper. The Afga paper had better tonal range, a nicer tone to the paper after selenium toning, and seemed sharper. I picked one of the most challenging negs I had to make it a good test.

Mind you this is just using my usual split grade printing procedures and developer.

So far the results are very encouraging.

I have long since given up on Forte cold tone, just don't like the stuff. At least for my kind of photos. The Forte warm tone is nice however, but I think the Agfa FB might just edge it out. Time will tell.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eric,

I have wound up prefering Agfa in both FB and RC. I like the glossy much better than the MGIV or Ilford Fibre.

The Agfa Glossy can be very arresting when presented with Ilford Glossy prints.

Shooter
    35mm
    My own belief is that Agfa, Ilford, Kodak, Forte etc are all fine papers. I also believe that due to negative differences one might very much prefer how a negative prints on Agfa vs another paper. I think that one is kidding themselves to believe that one of these papers is innately superior to all others.

However, it is your money and your photos, use whatever you like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Claire,

Like film, paper has the ability to exhibit different characteristics. Aside from the whole warm/cold, glossy/matte, or FB/RC things, paper can react differently. I believe that when I started using Agfa a little over a year ago, it seemed 1/2 a stop faster for instance. But it was also much cheaper. Since I liked my photos on it and others liked them as well. The issue was decided.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some of my own negatives, I also was surprised when I tried Agfa..it gave them an extra snap that did not get with Ilford MGIV...but then others printed better with Ilford..go figure. Did not have any luck with Berger, and results were not that different with Seagull so it is pretty much Agfa and Ilford in the darkroom right now. However, do like the warm tone of Forte, but with some of the recent availablity problems gave up on it for now...still think it is a nice paper. Only comment about Agfa, is watch it in KRST, it will turn eggplant purple after some time....I had a couple do that, and just toned them in Viradon which worked out quite well.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Viradon? Now you go and bring up something new and I've got to go find Rudman's Toning book (not always easy in my house).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Another Kudo for Agfa

The Agfa paper works really well with homemade polytoner; another one of it's advantages. Worth checking out!
    Regards, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis
    Viradon? Now you go and bring up something new and I've got to go find Rudman's Toning book (not always easy in my house).

Sorry - it's just Agfa's version of Brown toner - I like because it is a direct toner (does not require a bleach step first)...plus I like the tones it gives. NOTE: I do take it outside, because it do have a smell about it.
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin