Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,591   Online: 687

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Vacuum Frame/Nuarc ?

Ok so now I have a sizable stack of processed 11x14 negs and I would like to start my first venture into contact printing. I understand through some preliminary research that anything above 8x10 needs a vacuum frame while contact printing to insure sharpness.
    I am processing my negs to be used with AZO/Amidol and PT/PL mainly. I would like to purchase the correct unit size and type the first time instead of upgrading again and again.
    Could some one recommend a "set up" that would acaccommodatehe processes I've listed?
    Thank you

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found a large vacuum frame on Ebay not long ago, it is about 23x27"! Postage was a lot more than the winning price, but it at least proves that they are there.

Combined with an overhead growlight (or bank of fluorescent tubes), I'm ready for anything!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using a NuArc 26-1K mercury exposure unit that has a vacuum frame about 2' x 2.5'. It was donated to my place of employment but I've seen similar units go for a couple hundred bucks on eBay. It may be overkill for your needs, but I like the fact it has a built-in integrator to monitor and adjust output. It's noisy and has about a 3' square footprint, but otherwise no complaints.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchased a Sandmar (now Olec) FX1200 plate burner. It is a self-contained metal-halide lamp, vacuum frame and light integrator. It works great! Bulbs aren't cheap and they have a definite lifetime ($40 for a MHL-1000 or GW-114..) but it's a pleasure to use.

I'd go for it, especially if you plan on building a BLB fixture. I purchased my unit for $100 but had to drive two hours to pick it up.

Also check for Douthitt frames, very high quality. Olec makes some nice ones as well but I believe they are better known for their Olite lamps and light integrators.. *shrug*

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    look on the for sale section of APUG as there is at least one for sale

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin