Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,391   Online: 857

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I need a Negative carrier for 35mm & 6x6

Hi, I'm looking for a negative carrier for my 35mm negs and my 6x6 negs. Although I don't have an enlarger yet, I do have access to enlargers at the local college. I'd like to file back my own neg carriers a wee bit and thought of getting my own, considering it as a little 'push' on DH towards getting the rest set up at home.

So, considering I'm in West Australia, is Ebay the best place for me to go for second-hand neg carriers?
    Any problems I should be looking out for?
    What is considered a fair price?

Thanks for your input.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only problem is make sure it fits the enlarger you intend to use. Also unless you intend to get the same enlarger in the future don't expect the holders to work with your new enlarger.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you could make a negative carrier using mat board, cheaper and easy to do.

just cut the board to fit the enlarger you are using and then cut out the center as to the negative size

Images
    Good Morning, Nicole,

If the enlargers you have access to are Beseler 23's or 45's, the negative carriers are simple, flat devices. Ann's advice is excellent although the tempered Masonite (1/8 in.) I used years ago to make perfectly usable carriers might be preferable because it's more durable than mat board. Just use an existing carrier to make a pattern. Obviously, this approach may not work with some enlargers which have more complex carriers.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I like Ann's idea for now. Might even make the tiniest window mount. Yes, these enlargers use flat devices. I just wanted to file back or enlarge the frame to get a full frame and edging in.
    Thanks for your tips.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ann has the right idea. I have made many neg carriers from matte board. They work great.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I made many temporary carriers out of black matboard about 8 years ago. They are still in good shape, and I've never gotten around to making more permanent versions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin