Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,970   Online: 1172

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Glennview.com reference request

I am thinking of buying some darkroom equipment from Glenn Evans of Glennview.com in the Chicago area. Can anyone in our group give a reference, good or bad? This form can protect its members from bad business practices. I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I know is the prices seem quite steep. He has/had some part I wouldn't have minded for my enlarger but the cost would have made it cheaper to buy a whole brand new enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i bought a recommar ( 35mm kodachrome) back from him, and he made a graflok "plate" so i could use it on a 4x5 camera of my choice. while it did cost quite a bit of money, it didn't really matter because i have only seen one or 2 that exist, and neither had a plate ( with light trap-bead ). when i sold it, i got more than i paid for it ( FEEbay )

i never had a problem - he knows the things he sells ( unlike FEEbayers who say " a friend gave this to me to sell, and he found it in his attic, i don't know what it is, or how to operate it, but it seems to work fine " )

- - john

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you John and Nick and the several who have PMed me. If anyone else has thoughts on this, but feels uncomfortable putting them on the Form, please send a PM.
    I will respect your privacy. I am only trying to avoid being taken for a ride.

I realize his prices seem high, but I have been looking five months for an 8x10 enlarger for B&W that will fit under a seven foot ceiling and be possible to move down stairs into a basement. All the cheap, working ones don't seem to have my phone number.

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC a couple of months ago an Elwood 8x10 table top enlarger went on Ebay for about $150. The seller does a lot of photographic surplus. If it wasn't for the shipping from LA to Canada I would have bid on the thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have traded photographic goods with Glenn a number times. He has always been honest and courteous, and his machine-work is first rate. That said, his prices are frequently (but not always) very high.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Glenn has always been very professional and knowledgeable whenever i have had questions regarding his stuff online...i was once thinking about getting a modified tripod head made by him and he sent me jpgs of many ideas and options. He did the same thing for me when i had a question about a custom film regsitration gizmo i wanted to get made. His prices are a little on the steep side but in many cases he's the only one around with the item in question. He is a speedy and good communicator over email too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin