Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,031   Online: 976

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    A catalyst as in part of the exhaust system? That won't stop you push starting a car, but the all too common automatic transmission will!
    Nige - bump starting a car blows the Cat Converter, tha'ts why people are taught not to do it anymore (dont ask me how it does ... but it does aparently!)

I'm not sure what's worse about this ebay item ... the seller taking the stuff out of the pack, or me looking at it and wondering what the hell was the problem .. then reading down teh thread and seeing what people had said ... DOH - how could I have missed that!!! :o :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    I'd love to read some of the emails that he got on that one...

alas, but I don't understand German...

except for..."Guten Tag" and "Frauline? Bier bitter..."

How about Dummkopf?
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt that,
    Cat converters are killed by sulfur and other metals/nonmetals... but start the car by pushing shouldn't do it. Me guesses it has to do more with all the electronics that are found inside engines these days....
    I learned the hard way (by helping a friend in dire need) that you can;t just change the battery of the car anymore, have to take it to the dealer! They have to "reset" the onboard computer, otherwise power windows and central lock stopped working :ROFL"

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    Nige - bump starting a car blows the Cat Converter, tha'ts why people are taught not to do it anymore (dont ask me how it does ... but it does aparently!)

I'm not sure what's worse about this ebay item ... the seller taking the stuff out of the pack, or me looking at it and wondering what the hell was the problem .. then reading down teh thread and seeing what people had said ... DOH - how could I have missed that!!! :o :rolleyes:
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    I doubt that,
    Cat converters are killed by sulfur and other metals/nonmetals... but start the car by pushing shouldn't do it. Me guesses it has to do more with all the electronics that are found inside engines these days....
    titrisol - I just found this from a uk garage website

If you attempt to bump start a car (with a run down battery) this has the same effect as a misfire. Unburnt fuel travels into the CAT and destroys the catalyst.
    It says pretty much the same in my car manufacturers manual too.

whoops - wandered off topic a bit here.

Images
    Kind of reminds a story I was told by a USGS photographer. He took some film into a place in Tucson(very well known and I use them myself) He handed his box of 4x5 color negs he took on a once in a lifetime survey of the Grand canyon after the controlled flood, over to the guy and they were filling out the order form. And it was super busy with a small staff. The guy behind the counter asked him how many sheets. The photog did not remember so being the smart ass he is said "better open it and count them." Without thinking the guy did, in the bright sun lit lobby.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mmm osunds interesting, so the problem is that some unbunrt fuel in the converter can burn in there?
    interesting possibility, but givent he temperature at which the cat converter operates (high) I belive this is a NO-NO warning that should have been a maybe.....just like the don't put metals in the microwave warning

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    titrisol - I just found this from a uk garage website

It says pretty much the same in my car manufacturers manual too.

whoops - wandered off topic a bit here.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the photographic paper is excelent for selling on the "black market" now.

Maybe I should sent him a mail with this suggestion, German is no problem.

Best regards,

Robert

PS. Vielleicht doch kein gutes Idee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Another example: ask a young person who has only driven cars with catalysts fitted, and he / she won't be aware of the possibility to start a car (if it has no catalyst) by pushing it to a downslope. "

I remember years ago a woman asking my pal and me if we could give her a push start. We started pushing the car, next thing we hear is this clicking noise and the starter motor trying to turn........... Anyway gave her a quick lesson about bump starting and she was soon on her way.

Talking of bump starts I've learned to check that the driver really knows how to do it before offering to push. So many folks pick first gear and lift the clutch right up, it's not fun head butting the rear of cars.

As for cars with cats, if you are sure it's just your battery that's a little weak or a bad contact on the starter, it's probably OK to bump start it. Cats do not like neat or unburnt petrol/deisel, that's what does the damage and why they say don't dump start em. Also even if it's just the battery, maybe proceed with caution, sometimes strange things start to happen to the digital systems fitted to modern cars when the battery voltage drops and it might not catch.
    At least cats are much much cheaper than they used to be ten years. Though why we bother with em beats me, they are pretty much useless devices.

DKT

aw, that's not a "sign of times"...people do stupid sh*t like that all the time with film and paper. I worked in a lab about 20 yrs ago and a guy brought in a paper bag with a couple of rolls of film in it and he didn't even wind the film back into the cartridges...he just took the 35mm right out of the camera and stuffed into this brown lunch sack. Had about three rolls of film in there, all ruined--I asked if he knew film was light sensitive and explained how to rewind the camera, and he just shrugged and said he wondered what that little knob was for...

people are stupid, ya know? even at work--had some guy with a dang PHD act as a courier to bring a box of exposed 4x5 neg film over from one studio to the next--on the way he opens the box and pulls out the sheets, so when he gets to our studio, he just hands us the sheets and sez, here's your film...we just laughed our asses off and told him what a knucklehead he was...

then there's this conservator. we get this old studio camera and a bunch of holders from a donor and he sees those flaps on the old wooden film holders had become brittle with age, but he figures the flaps aren't meant to be opened like you'd load a sheet of film. So he glues all the holders shut and then proclaims that he has "fixed" them. Again--we laugh...oh, almost in pain from laughing so hard.... But, then we have to explain to them how sheet film holders and view cameras work...so of course, being a conservator all this can be reversed, so there's no damage, but still....

people are stupid when it comes to film & paper...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A catalytic converter is a piece of metal core which heats up to an extreme temperature in order to help in burning the polutants that may have escaped combustion in the actual combustion chamber. I have bump-started many cars with cats, and this is a theory that someone came up with to sound smart... and with little foundation in reality. The amount of unburnt gas in the cat would have to be pretty high, or over a prolonged period of time to damage it. Bump em if they got the right amnount of pedals - if not, the'y're not really cars, so who cares.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin