Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,657   Posts: 1,481,414   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help with D5 Dichroic !!!

I just acquired a D5 xl dichroic (from another APUGER). Great! There's a 6x7 mixing chamber (D-B) available, but I want to be sure that the one in the head I have is the 4X5 (D-D). I can see that the top of the lamphouse opens up, but is there an easy way to get to the mixing chamber?

I don't have a manual yet, and this opportunity (auction) is passing this evening! :o

Of course, if the bidding doesn't go too high, I''l buy it on spec ...

Thanks for any help!

David

PS: Anybody have a mounting collar for the column? This machine came sans baseboard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear David,

If it's like the D2, the door is on the left front of the enlarger. The door lifts and then pulls out from the bottom. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on a 6x7 mixing chamber. I leave the 4x5 one in on my D2 all the time.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    If it's like the D2, the door is on the left front of the enlarger. The door lifts and then pulls out from the bottom. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on a 6x7 mixing chamber. I leave the 4x5 one in on my D2 all the time.

Neal Wydra
    Neal:

That is so amazingly simple, and, of course, correct!!!

A prior owner had put black tape on every possible seam. Once I remove the tape from some places, things become easier to figure out (and to open).

I agree with you about leaving the 4x5 in all of the time. However, my largest negs are 6x6 (at this time). So, if I can get this box cheap, I'll leave it in "all the time", (should shorten exposure times) until such point as I've acquired a view camera. (We all know it's coming, don't we ...)

Thanks so much!

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am not sure you will find the smaller box is needed. I print 4x5, 6x7, and 35mm with the 4x5 mixing box. Even the 35mm at 11x14 is not to long. Try it before you add another variable into your life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,
    Just fyi, it has the 4x5 mixer installed
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear David,

You are very welcome. I think you will enjoy that enlarger.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    David, I think you will enjoy working with the D5. I purchased one brand new in 1980 and used it every day commercially until my retirement. Never a bit of trouble.

An excellent source for answers to your questions as well as for spare parts is:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/

The box for 6x7 will get you 1 stop. Not worth it in my opinion. I have both.

If the foan inside is old and yellow, either paint it of buy a liner kit which has new foam, maybe some other parts. Ain`t cheap tho.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone. We can put this thread to bed. The auction is over, so this is all academic.

I figured I would easily be outbid, but no! :o I got the thing cheap, so if it's useful, fine. If not, no big deal.

Cheers, y'all.

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's interesting- Do you think I could print 6x7 negs in a Beseler MXT Dichro S with just a 4x5 mixing chamber?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin