Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,762   Online: 1168

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Konica Hexanon GR11

Anyone know of the quality - or otherwise - of these enlarger lenses. I have been given three along with an LPL 7540 Mark 2. The lenses are the 150, 210 and 300 all for various sizes of LF work I know and all are F9 I think. Any info much appreciated.

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no idea how these will work as enlarger lenses, but I use a 150mm f/9 as a taking lens for both 4x5 and 8x10. The 150mm f/9 Hexanon is a dangerously sharp lens as a taking lens. I've used it from infinity down to 1:1, and the lens has never let me down. I have no reason to believe that the lenses you have wouldn't be wonderful as enlarger lenses. (Note: I only shoot B&W; if you're thinking of using the lens to enlarge color than you should seek information from someone who has experience using the lens for color work.)

(My copy of the 150mm just reaches the corners of the 8x10 with usable image; there is literally no room for movements. Reports on the web indicate that some samples of this lens will cover 8x10 while others miss by a little bit. Lens-to-lens variation makes it a crap-shoot as to whether or not the lens you have will cover 8x10 at infinity, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone run out and buy such a lens for 8x10 use unless they were going to be shooting closer than infinity. The chance that a given lens won't cover is just too much of a risk to take, in my book.)

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Interesting...

Thanks Mongo! All three lenses have come from a graphics department and as far as I am aware have always been used as enlarger lenses. I will have to check this out as I just assumed that was what they were for! I appreciate you can interchange lenses within reason - the 300 is a very big piece of glass mind!!

Cheers

Carl

Shooter
    Large Format
    If they were meant for multi-thousand dollar repro cameras, you could sleep safe knowing that they are not dogs.

Same goes for the ultragon/repromaster and the jml lenses IMHO..
    Kodak Ektanon's and Kodak Ektar Enlarging lenses too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    Same goes for the ultragon/repromaster and the jml lenses IMHO..
    I just "won" my first two Ultragons on eBay (a 150mm and a 305mm); I can't wait to try them. The things were so cheap that I just couldn't pass them up.

I'm amazed at how inexpensive really great process lenses are these days.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I just "won" my first two Ultragons on eBay (a 150mm and a 305mm); I can't wait to try them. The things were so cheap that I just couldn't pass them up.

I'm amazed at how inexpensive really great process lenses are these

days.
    I got my lenses off a graphics camera that was being traded in. I think they will be very sharp lenses

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin