Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,470   Online: 973

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about the bathroom? It has got to be larger and has running water. There are a lot of designs on the web of bathrooms setups.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The other option is too use a bedroom. Cover the windows and doors with blackout cloth, set up a bench with your enlarger and a motor base and use drums, wash in tray in the bath tub.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm ruling out the bathroom since there is only one, and I have roomates.

I do have a unicolor drum, so I can process outside of the room in it. I figure I'll try building a stand in the closet to put the enlarger on, and process in a rubbermaid container or something similar in my bedroom. (I can deal with the scent) This way if it turns out to just be to darn cramped, I won't have laid out the money for a slot processor.

I admit, I'm a slave to my computer, so having a printing station three feet from it will really help my productivity.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    As for paper cutter, I just tear the paper for test strips. A rotary paper cutter can be mounted vertically on the wall.

Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu
    As for paper cutter, I just tear the paper for test strips. A rotary paper cutter can be mounted vertically on the wall.

Jon
    I use it mostly to chop down my fav fiber down to 5x7s since it isn't manufactured in that size. However, I realize I can just do chopping sessions where I work the cutter on the enlarger baseboard, and just pack them away into a different box until I need to use them.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you roomates all males?

If so, this is the plan. Buy them a couple of real cheap Walmart point and shoot cameras. Hire a model to pose nude for an hour or two at your new apartment. After 3 or 4 rolls of B&W confiscate the camera and film and tell them your will contact print the rolls and print photos they select in your darkroom. Hopefully they will agree to an accomodation for use of bathroom/bedroom as a darkroom on a schedule.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm... Have a look at this (ignoring for a moment the rather large price tag!).

Maybe it would be possible to extend the closet with a removeable homemade version of this, kind of like the fabric extensions you can get with some camper vans?

What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's pretty cool Frank!

Wonder how much shipping would be across the pond...? Lets see, convert pounds sterling to canuck dollars, add shipping, taxes, import duties... perhaps not.

Then again, I still have that old canvas tent. I could use the tent as a template to cut and sew together blackout cloth. Hmm... could end up with a darkroom for up at the cottage after all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a camper? [Caravan in the UK?]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought about this one a little more (the problem is I'm useless at diagrams!). See how this sounds:

Make a rectangular frame, as big as necessary, possibly cross-braced, possibly from lightish wood or tubular metal.
    Drape a length of blackout material over it, say about 14 foot-plus-the-width-of-the-frame by the length of the frame (use multiple pieces if you have to).
    Put four holes in the blackout over the corners of the frame.
    Run strong wires from the frame through the blackout and seal the holes with black gaffer tape. Attach rings to the end of the wires.
    Put four sturdy hooks in the ceiling to which the rings will attach.
    Next another rectangle of blackout, this time a groundsheet. Lay self-adhesive velcro strips in a pattern corresponding to the frame.
    Fix the other half of the velcro strips to the original length of blackout. This should anchor the sides of the tent.
    Use more velcro to anchor the walls of the tent to the door frame of the closet and yet more (no, I haven't got shares in the company) to rig a door panel.
    Lop a hole in one wall to run a wide hose with a fan and a lightproof baffle (see Tim Rudman's darkroom book) for a vent and also to allow in a power line.
    Wash your prints elsewhere!

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands and I know it's far from ideal! Improvements anyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin