Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,303   Posts: 1,681,549   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Whats best way to clean plastic spirals?

Hi,

Just bought a load of new spirals and despite my efforts to clean the old ones, the new ones are sooOOOO much smoother and less prone to jamming.

What is the best way to clean plastic spirals to remove deposits (presumably gelatine?). Even when I use a washing up brush and detergent I cannot remove all of it. Is there a trick to get them squeaky clean again?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Water with soda does the trick for me. Even better: I've got 3 sets of Patterson reels, 2 older ones and a new. The older reels seem to load much easier.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of people throwing them in the dishwasher, but I can't vouch for that. I've stopped dunking them in the wash-aid, and it certainly has curtailed the gunk. A light application of silicon spray has also been mentioned. Or do what I did and throw them away and get some AP reels - they're miles better if you're loading 120!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I rub a pencil on the little ball bearings to stop the reels from jamming. This lubricates them with graphite from the pencil lead.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just soak mine in hot water with washing powder for a couple of hours.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You don't say where you are.

But if in the USA, there is a very old product, still available at most supermarket detergent aisles, called Bon Ami. It is a powder, like bathroom cleanser, but has no grit. The logo is a newborn chick, with the slogan: "Hasn't scratched yet".

Bon Ami has many uses around the lab, where highly polished surfaces need to stay that way. I would give it a shot with a toothbrush. Remember the days before toothpaste, when we all used tooth powder? Same technique. Mix in a little baking soda to be sure.

Images
    "Or do what I did and throw them away and get some AP reels - they're miles better if you're loading 120!"

What are AP reels? I seem to have difficulty loading 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put your plastic reels in (old) c41 or RA-4 blix and after a while they look almost brand new.

To much mechanical force will damage your plastic reels. So to much cleaning with a toothbrush or other scratching parts is not recommended.

Best regards,

Robert

PS. Other tricks with potassiumdichromate and sulfuric acid is very dangerous and even not allowed to use for photographic purposes in the European Union anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BonAmi and a soft toothbrush.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone already touched on this, but do not dunk to reels in any kind of photoflo type solution. This will greatly reduce any deposits or build up on the reels.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin