Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,111   Online: 910

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you move to Valdosta?
    Downtown Valdosta had a few old warehouses and buildings that were awesome to photoggraph. The small towns around it have personality

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    Valdosta!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Gary!

There were a load of seemingly abandoned buildings along rt. 82 and rt. 84. I LOVE abandoned buildings! Back in New England, we had a huge number of abandoned mental institutions and tuberculosis hospitals.

I'm fixing to explore soon though i'm trying to find a job. Probably a one-hour photo job or something, who knows. I'm good at holding jobs but absolutely the worst at finding them. I was seriously skilled in Unix sys. and network administration (SunOS/Solaris and BSD) and dabbled a bit in network security. Then I worked for a company and became a 'grunt', or the 'lunch guy'.. Argh! Sorry for the OT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at it as an advanced course in composition & printing. Everything you have is on the negative & to be printed full frame without cropping. Each & every time... and this will concentrate the mind wonderfully as you photograph. It isn't a limitation but a release from so may decisions 'after the fact'. Keep it simple and concentrate on your vision through the lens. Develop specifically for contact printing & I bet you find your work getting better & better. Look what it did for Weston.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm actually needing to compensate for the tap water being no colder than 74 degrees fahrenheit. Along with tailoring the development specifically for cyanotypes..

I visited the most popular (I believe) camera store around here, D&A's.. The salesperson looked at me and laughed when I asked if they had any 120 black and white film..
    Then we both had a chuckle when I asked for 4x5 sheet film.
    "Out here? What? No. No. Hahahah, no."

DKT

valdosta huh? i'll bet you're having trouble finding that stuff. I've got relatives in moultrie.....neat old towns, but pretty isolated.

your cold water--well, you're just getting started with summer, so it'll get higher. I turned the chiller on today where I work, because our incoming cold is hovering in the 80s. I process year around at 75 degrees. It's only when the water gets to be 80-90 degrees, that I use the chiller. Personally I wouldn't worry until you get up to 80+ degrees, but you might have to run a cold waterjacket or something to get your chemistry down to where you like it. just wait until august though....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Question: Why is the water so warm there? Is it stored above ground?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing the pipes are not buried deep like up north because the freeze line is much shallower and the ground warms faster there, second the water usually comes from above ground reservoirs that warm up with the summer heat, then they are pumped up into those huge tanks on stilts to pressurize and store water for the system. None of which contribute to making water cooler.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    I ended up getting a job at D&A Camera/Camera America. I'm the lab slave.
    As for the hot tap water, yes it really is that hot. I've been using a brita water pitcher and a bit of warm water to bring it up to temp.

I've taken a few pics at Banks Lake, also the location where they filmed a bit of the movie 'Deliverance'. It's right up the road from here. Very creepy!
    Six sheets of film, all printed as cyanotypes. I'm enjoying this as I am currently living under the worlds most powerful plate burner, ie. Georgia. My cyanos print out in about 5 to 10 minutes compared to three hours in Massachusetts.

PS- what's in August? It gets cooler, right? Please tell me it gets cooler.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Phillip, I can't say for certain about Georgia, but I've been here in North Carolina for about 9 months now. It was hotter when I got here, in early September, than it is now, though it's more humid now. And good luck with Arlene -- she won't cool you off, but she'll certainl wet you down some...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Har, boy it hasn't even started getting warm yet! Don't cool off till Thanksgiving! You'll get used to it. Put away your woolies, get out the cotton, wear a hat.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin