Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,652   Posts: 1,623,591   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlargement lens threads

I've been kinda watching lens on evilbay. I noticed a couple listings for Lieca (M39 I think) threaded lenses. Are these a different thread then others? El-Nikor or Omegatron(sp?) for example?
    I'm looking for a 90-105mm lens. the way things are, I just might go buy one rather than continue with feepay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    39mm is pretty much the standard for enlarger lenses, though 25mm aren't uncommon either. Recently I got a Hobson-Cooke that had a 30mm mount - great lens but a pain to get mounted.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some older Schneider Componon 105mm were 40mm - one to watch out for as it won't fit any standard thread...

Most others are 25mm or 39mm, except the really big ones.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done really well on eBay. Keep on the lookout for the 105mm Nikkor, or a Rodenstock Rodaton or Schneider Componon-S. Older Componons will have a 25mm thread, but most lenses in this range will be 39mm. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200 for one of these lenses new. EBay can often be in the range of $50 for a decent used one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figured the M39 was a standard thread, I was just thrown off by the guy calling it a Lieca thread. Thanks for clearing that up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    L (not M) 39 came to be standard for enlargers as the idea with the original Leicas was that you used the same lens on both the camera and the enlarger. You still can.

David.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the older Janpol lenses, and the Russian Vega lenses made on the same pattern (with color filters inside the lens) have M42 thread, the same as my Super Takumar and Auto Rikenon lenses.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've received lots of e-mails suggesting products for the enlargement of various body parts, but never for the enlargement of lens threads.

The so-called Leica thread (M39) is pretty common for older, slower enlarging lenses, but many of the newer, faster lenses use larger threaded sections, as necessitated by the faster apertures. Whether these can be used on a specific enlarger depends on how its lens boards are designed. Most have separate threaded inserts to accommodate various lens threads.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    I've been kinda watching lens on evilbay. I noticed a couple listings for Lieca (M39 I think) threaded lenses. Are these a different thread then others? El-Nikor or Omegatron(sp?) for example?
    I'm looking for a 90-105mm lens. the way things are, I just might go buy one rather than continue with feepay.
    Hi !
    As far as I know, enlarging lenses come in 25 mm thread (for really small lenses, often of East Europe origin, or old German ones)
    39 mm Leica thread for everything else that fit....
    Bigger ones where 42 mm thread (I had a 150 mm Schneider lens with this thread) The "accepted" standard for lenses in the 150 mm focal lenght seems to be 50 mm thread. Above that size, they are not threaded. If you can take a look at an EL Nikkor ad, or a Schneider or Rodenstock web site. The mechanical information is here....
    Of course one can find some odd threads made to increase specialized parts sales .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having just fought this battle-

My 50mm Nikkor has 39mm and this appears to be the standard.

I got a 105mm Componon cheap, but without the board or ring. So, I started the search for these. I read that the other standard was 25mm, and that my lens should be that size so I ordered a board and ring. Nope, didn't fit. Turns out, the lens takes a 32mm (or 32.5mm?) thread. I got a board off of eBay. Looks like a random piece of aluminum, painted black, with an irregular hole gauged into into it. With some filing, I expect to make the lens fit. I have a ring in the mail, and I hope this ends the problem. If that works, I will have spent more on the rings/boards than the lens. I will also have spent way too much time hunting it down.

As noted above--there are some 25mm lenses. I have a board for a 23C and a ring if someone needs it.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin