Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,054   Online: 788

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Ok, how do you use boric acid (assuming I can find it over here)?
    Hey Ari,
    You should be able to find boric acid at a good geoponos and it should be the least harmful to you. We often use it in the museum in Ancient Corinth for 'lesser' infestations. If we have greater infestation, i.e. rats, snakes, pine martens, and coachroaches, then we bring in the poison guys.
    Best of luck,
    James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is boric acid in greek "βορικό οξύ" ?
    Thank you all guys, I will enter into the offensive as soon as I am armed!

(boric acid is not known to b explosive when it is combined with Rodinal is it?)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Is boric acid in greek "βορικό οξύ" ?
    Thank you all guys, I will enter into the offensive as soon as I am armed!

(boric acid is not known to b explosive when it is combined with Rodinal is it?)
    Ari, I think you have to ask for it as "βόρακα", but I don't know about the packaging

In one site I saw it being offered in 5 kilo bags, which should last you for quite some time (and make you very unpopular in the cockroach kingdom )
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At first I though of sticking the heads of cockroaches around the room as a warning to the others but maybe they wouldn't get it...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Arigram,
    You would not belive it but, again, try Ballistol!
    Yes, I am rerepeatingy myself but this time, again, I tried it and it worked.
    Ballistol is not going to kill them but they do not like the smell.
    This product allso exist in aerosols, so spray them out.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main advantage of boric acid is that it's not significantly toxic to the other darkroom denizen -- the photographer (though you should read the MSDS for it, as it can have some effects -- most notably, it's a laxative). You can also use it as a photographic chemical; it's a nice buffering agent in some formulae.

I'm afraid my Greek isn't up to translating (in fact, almost all the Greek I know is related to food), but you want the acid form of the borate ion. Borax isn't right, that's sodium tetraborate. Boric acid is H3BO3, you might think of it as "hydrogen borate". (darn it, HTML is off and there's not vB code for subscripting)

Extra advantage: boric acid kills ants and fleas as well, and the ants will carry it back to their nests before they die, killing out the whole colony in many cases.
    Last edited by Donald Qualls; 06-07-2005 at 09:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: attempt to correct subscripts in formula
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari, try this google page

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...BF%CE%BE%CF%85

plenty of info on cockroaches and boric acid. (All in Greek)
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin