Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,092   Online: 915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cockroaches outta my darkroom!

I do not like to share my darkroom with those pesterous critters.
    There are so many products that claim that do the job but I don't really trust them. Any ideas?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari, it depends on the type of cockroach. If they are the common variety (large, black) then traps could do the trick, or even better spraying the floor and the door openings. It does work and will keep the place free for a month or more.

If on the other hand they are of the imported variety (american blond - light colored small sized), then you are in trouble. They are very difficult to exterminate and they resurface very quickly.

If things get too bad, go to a shop and ask for the stink bombs (μπομπάκια). Make sure that all openings are securely sealed and then ignite one and keep the room closed for 2-3 days. Then ventilate very well. Of course you can only do this if the darkroom is in a separate part of the house, since the fumes from the stink-bomb are poisonous.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boric Acid.

Shooter
    Large Format
    use them to your advantage. catch them, glue rods to their backs and use them and dodging tools.

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a digicam, take pics of the critters and then show them the results on the display. They won't return.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As already stated if you use a fogging bug bomb make sure that you leave some windows open and if you have appliances with pilot lights you might want to turn the pilots off. Here in Omaha someone did not open windows and used one two many of the bombs in an older house and the pilot ignited the concentration. The house exploded and was destroyed.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    As already stated if you use a fogging bug bomb make sure that you leave some windows open and if you have appliances with pilot lights you might want to turn the pilots off. Here in Omaha someone did not open windows and used one two many of the bombs in an older house and the pilot ignited the concentration. The house exploded and was destroyed.
    Hot damn!
    I want to get rid of them, but not to the point blowing up the building!

Thank you for your replies.
    It is not an infestation or any dire problem, it is very rare that I will find one or two per year (the large dark red or black ones), but I admit that I have a phobia of them and when I do find one it creates quite a problem.
    I imagine those methods are incase they have nested inside, but I believe they just happen to come along the drain pipes that once or twice a year and usually a single one.
    Is there a device to keep them at bay?

And I have extensive dodging tools thank you, I don't think I would like to dodge with a cockroach. The shape isn't that helpful...

And I don't own a digicam.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I have extensive dodging tools thank you, I don't think I would like to dodge with a cockroach. The shape isn't that helpful...
    no, but their wriggling on the stick will prevent hard edges... OK, sorry, now I've made myself squirm... Akkk....

I suspect one of the sticky traps placed where they may enter will do the trick or block up any gaps around pipes etc with expanded polystyrene foam spray.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari, I get the same problem at home. One or two every now end then. What I do is spray Baygon (or similar brand) down the drain and this stops them for a month or so. Unfortunately, if you do not fumigate the communal spaces (stairway, entrance, boiler room) they will keep appearing (you only need to fumigate once a year, but then you cannot use water for 72 hours, so unless you are away from the house for a long weekend, it is a waste of money) . They seem to multiply in the sewers and when they find an opening they surface and become a nuisance.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My darkroom is a seperate room on top of the roof of the appartment building that used to be a wash room in the past (the building dates before WWII) so Dimitri you would know what it is like.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin