Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,720   Posts: 1,514,912   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak
    Kent,

When I first started in this game, some 35 years ago, some one show me how well a small sable paint brush worked. A nice size number 3 or 4 round just does the job. Some years later when I started teaching one of may student kept getting all sorts of scratches on his negatives. They showed me the neg/static cloth they used and how they used it. All my advanced student end up changing to a simple brush paint/watercolor, static master to much money, a soft make-up brush just fine, or the Kinetronics big or small. Just remember to keep them clean and free from dirt or oils.

Jan Pietrzak
    When I first bought the Ilford orange cloth, I thought it was magic! Wiped everything that even went near my photo related process with it! And I have to say, I got fewer dust specs. But I have to say its quite coarse by feel - so I just common-sensed my way to not using it on negatives. I think the brush is a great idea, as long as you remember that it will be only as good as its own cleanliness. Anything that moves dirt (other than perhaps air) does so by trapping it - even a brush to some extent, so make sure those brushes are clean!

BTW - You are not that Jan Pietrzak, are you?

Images
    I use an untreated brush and an ear syringe as a blower. Works pretty well but I'm always willing to hear what is working for others.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    ps

Keep it clean, the first thing is that students want to do is put it on there face the first thing I do is to toss it. Being a person of the 60/70's the ear syringes work very well for me. Just can't get into canned air/stuff.

Jan Pietrzak

pps gnashing,

Which Jan Pietrzak would you like me to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak
    pps gnashing,

Which Jan Pietrzak would you like me to be.
    Sorry - just a by-product of growing up in Poland in the 1980's. There is a performer who was/is quite famous there, who shares your name. It just jumped out at me. I hope you didn't take any offense to my question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have "wired" my darkroom and dry working area with 5/8 inch air hose that is connected to an air compressor and moisture filter(VERY important). Air compressor is set to 30 psi. I have 3 stations with coiled hose coming down from the ceiling with spray nozzles on them, the enlarger, matting area and mount press. Dust has not been a problem since. In most cases while printing, a quick swipe with a Staticmaster followed by a blast of air on both sides of the neg does it. Once the paper is in the easel, another quick blast over its surface to remove anything that might have fallen on it and I'm ready to expose. It works great and I highly recommend the system.

Bill

www.billschwab.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    I have "wired" my darkroom and dry working area with 5/8 inch air hose that is connected to an air compressor and moisture filter(VERY important). Air compressor is set to 30 psi. I have 3 stations with coiled hose coming down from the ceiling with spray nozzles on them, the enlarger, matting area and mount press. Dust has not been a problem since. In most cases while printing, a quick swipe with a Staticmaster followed by a blast of air on both sides of the neg does it. Once the paper is in the easel, another quick blast over its surface to remove anything that might have fallen on it and I'm ready to expose. It works great and I highly recommend the system.
    Bill, I've done the same thing in my NEARLY FINISHED darkroom (actually just an exposing room - I have a separate wet room). Anyway - I really wasn't sure what sort of tubing to use for the air - so I used 1/2" copper plumbing tube. I'm HOPING there's a way to connect the proper air fittings onto the end of it. Because I'm sure as hell not going to be digging that stuff back out of the wall with all the layers of wiring and plywood and drywall and compound on there...!! Anyway - any ideas about mating the copper lines with the right air fittings?
    thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blow, Brush & Wipe... anybody ever heard that mantra before? Blow off the big stuff, brush off the static-y fibers and wipe only if something stubborn has remained in place.
    (As far as stubborn things, Rexton is okay but nothing beats Pec12)

Sparky, there's a whole mess of compression fittings out there, I'm sure one will convert to the size tubing you'll need to hook up to your compressor... make sure you flush the lines out real good before use, you really don't want any stray flux spitting out onto your negs.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a batter operated vacuum that was made for computer keyboards, I have seen any for the past fews years but I assume that they are still in production.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a Kodak Static Eliminator. It is a camel hair brush attached to a static unit used in electronics manufacturing. The unit plugs into the wall, then it shoots ions at the negative, eliminating the charge that makes it stick to the negative in the first place. The negative does not attract new dust. The brush wipes the existing dust off. These are no longer available new from Kodak, but one is currently for sale on Ebay. One can be constructed by getting the unit from Simco (www.simco-static.com), getting a wand for it that looks like a pen with a wire coming out the end, and strapping a brush onto the wand.

-Greg
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm also a fan of the wide Kinetronics brush for negatives, carrier glass, lenses and vinyl LPs. I use Dust-Off as well.

p.s.--I think that Jan Pietrzak is alive and well and performing cabaret in Warsaw.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin