Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,239   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dusting Negs: Cloth or Brush???

Yesterday I went to the local photo shop to buy some paper and chemicals. I was also looking for a 'Staticmaster' brush; it was recommended in an article on dust control by Tom Halfhill.

The salesman said he had never heard of a Staticmaster brush and only had Ilford static cloths. When I said that my readings had led me to believe that wiping negs with a cloth was a bad idea, and that a brush was the way to go, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said that he would never use a brush for negatives, only a cloth.

So, what is the opinion out there?

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Max,

the guy is an idiot. Find another store quick. Staticmasters are the standard of the industry. He doesnt have one so he cant sell you one but he is trying to sell you a cloth. I have a cloth too. I used it to wipe the glass negative carriers on my Durst 138s.

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree with lee never trust a salesman who does not have the product you have asked for(me I use a modified asma air pump and use a shot of air.

regards
    Bazz8

Shooter
    Large Format
    the brush and compressed air are the trick.

S.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    www.kinetronics.com (click on "photo products") works for me. When I switched to a glass negative carrier and using masks dust became a HUGE issue. Now I lay my carrier on a Tiger Cloth when changing negatives, and use a 4x5 sized Ministat (double brush gizmo) on all negatives and masks...dust is no longer a problem. They also make anti static gloves.

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    My own experience has lead me to conclude that the staticmaster brushes are no better than an untreated brush. I have been buying makeup brushes from Walgreens that are sort of like an oversized lickstick tube with a cover on one end that the brush retracts inside of. For wiping negatives and glass I have been using a micro-fiber cloth. Although I have not used them I am of the opinion that the electrically charged brushes that Kodak used to be make and which were sold by and may still be available from Calumet as a Zone VI product may have been useful. I have yet to use a Kodak product that did not work well. I also believe that the One-Pass roller/paper system would work well since it has its origins in clean room technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really prefer a blast of air, but I don't have either an air pump or a cylinder in my darkroom, and I have a philosophical issue with paying money for air. So I have defaulted to a brush.

My brush is a Staticmaster - but I've had it so long that the ionization function has died of old age. Frankly, I can't say that I noticed that its performance deteriorated as the radioactive element exceeded it's half life. I keep it in the original box, and I only use it for negatives, and I suspect that discipline has helped keep it clean over the years.

Incidentally, while a blast of air is the best approach, it is critical that the air be dry and oil-free. Ordinary compressors, including those at the gas station, can put both water and oil into the compressed air.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Now I lay my carrier on a Tiger Cloth when changing negatives
    That Kinetronics Tiger cloth looks EXACTLY like my Ilford antistatic cloth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kent,

When I first started in this game, some 35 years ago, some one show me how well a small sable paint brush worked. A nice size number 3 or 4 round just does the job. Some years later when I started teaching one of may student kept getting all sorts of scratches on his negatives. They showed me the neg/static cloth they used and how they used it. All my advanced student end up changing to a simple brush paint/watercolor, static master to much money, a soft make-up brush just fine, or the Kinetronics big or small. Just remember to keep them clean and free from dirt or oils.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format

I've only ever used...

...a blower brush.
    The only exception to this was when I mis~handled a neg and got a nasty fingerprint on it-then I used the cotton glove(which I should have used to handle the neg :rolleyes: ).
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin