Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,898   Online: 1000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Negative carrier doesn't fit valoy

After much searching, I managed to track down a carrier for my Valoy I. I kept reading that it could use the same carrier as the focomats and the auction that I bought it from said that it would work in the Valloys. Here's the problem, it doesn't fit. The long pins prevent me from inserting the carrier deeply enough to fully illuminate the negative. Plus, the silver film guide rails prevent the condenser from lowering onto the film. Either I don't have a Valloy, or this is the wrong neg carrier... It looks like the focomats swing open and the pins ensure that there is proper registration. My enlarger looks like the old valloys and focomats, but it does not swing open, there is a slot for sliding the carrier into it, but the pins prevent me from going far enough. HELP!

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you could post photos of the enlarger and the negative carrier, it would help.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Whitaker here. If you cannot post pictures, let me know and I'll get a valloy out of storage and make pictures of what it should look like. It's an outstanding enlarger when the condensers are in good shape and should be used. (If I find two of them, I'll see if I can get the carrier out.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    If you could post photos of the enlarger and the negative carrier, it would help.

Staying true to this forum, I am digital cameraless:-) I will see if I can scrounge one up and post some pictures. Another person has suggested that perhaps the Valoy simply doesn't use the long pins. On a related note, I find it amazing how little info there is on these enlargers. I have done many searches on both Valoy and valloy (which one is correct?) and have pulled up very little.

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We can help you with it. It is a stone simple enlarger. There was at least one variant intended to make very large prints. It had a longer, heavy column and very large baseboard and an extra 'cooling bonnet' to permit hot bulbs. I have that one. It's a great enlarger.

There was a clone of the Valloy called the Lucky, or some-such unscheduled name. I looked at one last year. It was inferior top to bottom.

I have good news. I found the carrier and it looks like all the othe Leica focomat carriers except the pins are very short. They are no higher than the film ramps which makes them perhaps 3mm high or about 5/32".

A trade is in order. Use the PM function under member links at the top.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin