Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,987   Online: 967

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Exposure Meters for Printing - Do you use them?

Hi,

I was wondering how many of you use any of the exposure meters available out there?

I've always gone the test-strip route and was wondering what case, if any, you could make for using a meter? Is it something that should be used in conjunction with teststrips?

Sorry about the beginner question, its just something I've been wondering about,

Thanks,

Peter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Have been using a RH-design zone-master for about half a year. Never looked back since... My first prints are in about 70% of the cases perfect. Never had that percentage when doing test strips.

Huub

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes i have a Durst L1200 with MultiGraph head. I use the meter exclusively. Works great. I get a first print that's within 1/3 of a stop on the first shot almost every time.

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My set-up is somewhat basic but accurate nonetheless. I use a Gossen Profisix with a LAB attachment. It doesn't store readings and one has to interpret the reading to a degree. I mainly use it for small 'work' prints or snaps. I've never used it for my best quality work, though with an RH analyser that may change. BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use my Ilford exposure meter. Gives me a quick and reasonabley accurate ball park starting point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use one for colour. The thing has a B&W mode but to be honest I enjoy test strips more. If I was in a production enviroment with every second meaning money then I'd use the meter. But since I'm not the meter just isn't that important to me.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use the Ilford EM10 too - saves me a lot of trial and error. I still do test strips and a lot of trial and error, but at least I have a good starting point and can concentrate on perfection instead of just getting an image...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

My contact sheet is my meter. It is made at 11x14 setting for head height. Subtract one stop for 8x10, two for 5x7, 3 for 4x5. Add one for 16x20.

2 1/4 and 4x5 have similar ratios but I have to check my darkroom wall as I do not print these sizes as often.

If you expose and develope properly, every contact comes out the same. My Chromega color/exposure meter sees little use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, so, mixed feelings I see. I just thought that I would be able to get in the ball park better with a meter. I find that a test strip, unless its a whole sheet, is a bit hard to interpret (for me, of course). And I don't like to (or rather can't afford to) use a whole sheet of paper evey time before my actual print - just seems wasteful for everyday printing. Well, I think I may be a meter customer - now, is there a huge difference, for my purposes, between a really cheap Ilford and some more advanced meters? I know you usually get what you paid for, but you don't buy a bus if you live alone - if you know what I mean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't use one...but I wonder if I could use my ordinary light meter for this purpose.

I own a Sekonic meter that handles both reflected and incident readings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin