Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 862

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

DIY archival print washer: source needed

I've been thinking of building a vertical washer. there seem to be a wide variety of suitably sized outer tubs available and plumbing fittings can be bought locally. The one thing that I can't find is a material suitable for the print dividers, a thin but relatively stiff plastic sheet. I'm sure that it must be available. Does anyone know of an internet source for something that would work for this?
    Thanks
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used plexiglass. They cut it for me at the hardware store to fit my fish tank.
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plexiglass would have been my first thought also. I've been thinking about this DIY print washer also and I thought of using a small aquarium tank with plexi dividers and poly tubing.
    Are you planning to force the water to flow thru' a certain path or just sort of in one end and out the other?

cheers
    Last edited by John Bartley; 07-09-2005 at 05:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The discussion this week on the pure-silver mailing list was about using plastic window screen. Why must it be stiff? Mount it at the bottom and the top and it should be fine. Just like a window screen.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I've been thinking of building a vertical washer. there seem to be a wide variety of suitably sized outer tubs available and plumbing fittings can be bought locally. The one thing that I can't find is a material suitable for the print dividers, a thin but relatively stiff plastic sheet. I'm sure that it must be available. Does anyone know of an internet source for something that would work for this?
    Thanks
    Hi Neal:

I have built two of these. The first was an Zone VI knock off for 11X14 and my current which will handle up to 20 X 24.

Your choice of material for dividers will need to vary depending upon the size of your washer. I used the pebble surface 1/8 inch acrylic in the 11X14 and it worked well. In 20X24, this thickness is insufficiently stiff to maintain uniform spacing. While it works, it does not look as professional and I would definitely use thicker material if I were to rebuild the unit.

I have been experimenting with plastic corrugate for dividers. It is 1/4 the weight, 1/4 the price and many times stiffer longitudinally. Its only draw backs are: (1) it is thicker than acrylic (.155" vs .116") and (2) Finishing the top edge requires some type of cap. I am concerned that a third problem might develop - that of mildew on the inside channels from trapped moisture. I think I would either seal the ends with caulk or perhaps cut the material on the bias to introduce a draining slant to the interior channels.

If you have priced the acrylic, you are already sobered by sticker shock. While the 1/2 inch is horribly expensive, the square footage used by the dividers is the next highest raw material cost. Plastic corregate is inexpensive enough where you can experiment without breaking the bank. You might locate some of this and give it a try. I picked mine up at a surplus store. Here is one of many providers: http://www.coroplast.com/product.htm

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might take a look at lenses(?)/covers for flourescent lights. 2X4 ft sections in a variety of textures. Available at big box home center stores lighting depts. The stuff tends to be brittle, so, it can chip easily when you're handling it. I think it may be styrene.

Images
    Lots of good ideas. I'd like to explore the window screen idea and I suppose that the channels in the corregated plastic could be sealed with silicone. I'd rather find a suitable plastic tank than a fish tank because it would be easier to drill for fittings

I was knocking around on the net and ran across this place: http://www.usplastic.com I haven't looked closely enough to determine whether something can be put together reasonably economically but they sure seem to have everything needed. Look under "Tanks and Accessories" and "Sheet, rod, shapes"
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have a look at this unit;

http://www.versalab.com/server/photo...ts/washer1.htm

Once you factor the cost of materials, your time to research, design and then build it, I think this washer is a steal! (I don't have one, but I admire its frugal nature.)

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How big are you building? This is the sort of thing I plan on using when I get off my butt.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...=10-10238759-2

Drill a hole on one side for an over flow drain. Rig up some dividers. Put some pipe in the bottom for the incoming water. That's it.

Downside is it'll be a batch only washer. Upside it's cheap. Big. Comes with it's own legs. I'm tempted to pipe the over flow water so it lands on a holding tray. But one of those things will be more then big enough for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking of making one last year until I found a very cheap Paterson Major (11x14). I went to the office supply store and looked at plastic file boxes. There was types with already plastic dividers in them. I was going to drill holes for inlet/outlet hoses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin