Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,016   Online: 672

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Slosher (pic)

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

I made a slosher out of an old Kodak 2x2 hanger

I've been doing alot of 4x5 work these past few weeks.

Although I have no problem tray developing, I'm getting tired of being knuckle deep in chemistry.

I'm been wanting to build a slosher for a good long while and I even had the plexiglass to do it.

I was just about to dive into a build when I notice the 14 or so 2x2 hangers I had on hand. I have neither the space not the tanks to use them as designed so I have sacrificed one (shutter) to slosherdom.

All i did was hack-saw off the hanger section; de-burr the edges; and then drill a while in the center for a handle (a metal post, in my case).

It fits perfectly in my Paterson 8x10 trays.

I'll do some souping with it this week to determine how evenly developing proceeds.

Here's some pics if you are interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colusit...7623403207398/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon View Post
    For anyone wanting to build one of these trays, one of the adhesives used to glue acrylic is called Weld-on 16 . They also have other thinner versions. The weld-on 16 is a bit thicker and fills gaps a bit better.

I have also found through searches that a saw blade with a high number of teeth with no offset is best. Blades designed for cutting aluminum or copper are the best. I have not tested this yet.

I am planning on building a smaller 4 (4X5) sheet version and if it goes well, the 6 sheet.

Thanks to Monophoto (I don't know your first name) for all the information.

Or even better a blade made for cutting plastic. http://www.amanatool.com/circular-sa...t-lb86401.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
    - - - so I have sacrificed one (shutter) to slosherdom.

Very clever!
    Louie

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Monophoto - I was this close to making a clone of yours - and then it hit me.

I just tested it and the negs look good and evenly developed - I will make a couple other sloshers so i can develop a second or third set while the previous sets are washing.

And I really like your idea on differential developing (N-1) by setting the negs aside while the remainders keep souping.

Although I have no problem tray developing, I'm getting tired of being knuckle deep in chemistry.

I'm been wanting to build a slosher for a good long while and I even had the plexiglass to do it.

I was just about to dive into a build when I notice the 14 or so 2x2 hangers I had on hand. I have neither the space not the tanks to use them as designed so I have sacrificed one (shutter) to slosherdom.

All i did was hack-saw off the hanger section; de-burr the edges; and then drill a while in the center for a handle (a metal post, in my case).

I'll do some souping with it this week to determine how evenly developing proceeds.

Great idea, and very well done. Kudos galore!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I suspect that you might have some problems with this, so report back either way. I have never used hangers before so maybe I am wrong. I assume that if the film is held in place somewhat loosely on the 4 sides then it could pop out when inserted, agitated, or removed from the tray. If the film is held tightly by the frame, then it will probably bow and maybe pop out if not careful.

The manufactured sloshers have holes under the film to allow free flow of solutions when raising or rocking the trays and that promotes even development.

Also, one benefit of a slosher is that you can process each sheet for a different time which would be impossible here.
    Jerold Harter MD

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

So far so good . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I suspect that you might have some problems with this, so report back either way. I have never used hangers before so maybe I am wrong. I assume that if the film is held in place somewhat loosely on the 4 sides then it could pop out when inserted, agitated, or removed from the tray. If the film is held tightly by the frame, then it will probably bow and maybe pop out if not careful.
    Turns out that the hangers hold the film securely but loosely without bowing.

The negs are also easily removed because of the clever spring-loaded gate that each compartment has.

I just tested it and the negs look good, no banding, no surge marks - good even developing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin