Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,321   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Radio Shack foot switch--it works on Gralab 450!!

Thanks again guys, I love the McGyverisms on this web site. I bought the Radio Shack Recorder footswitch for $6.99 and it works just dandy on my Gralab 450.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Thanks again guys, I love the McGyverisms on this web site. I bought the Radio Shack Recorder footswitch for $6.99 and it works just dandy on my Gralab 450.
    That has a mini phone plug, right? I wonder if one could switch out the plug and use it for an Omega timer .... Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A switch is a switch is a switch - - - there may be differences in ratings, but I suspect the fundamental function is readily portable from Brand X to Brand Y.

I found my foot switch in a dumpster. Many years ago, my employer had a photo lab in the first floor of the building we were in. Periodically they would clean house, and I would always make a point of glancing into the dumpster to see what they were throwing away. I still regret not glomming onto the old Kodak 4x5 tanks and hangers - - -

I have no idea what brand the foot switch is. My timer is an old GE x-ray processing timer that wasn't equipped to receive a switch. But I found that I could add a jack on the side of the case, and a matching plug on the switch, and now everything works just fine.

McGuyverisms rock!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the Radio Shack switch doesn't suit you, there are bunches of excellent foot switches at surplus electronics dealers, for example: http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=SWH
    These have a particularly nice profile and work nicely "under the toe".

Images
    My old Kearsarge footswitch works fine with my "new" used Beseler Audible Timer.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    A switch is a switch is a switch McGuyverisms rock!
    Are they really? I truly need a footswitch a Chromeacontrol and, of course, the manufacturer uses a proprietary plug. It's just a mystery to me and as of recently, I've become reluctant to experiment with electrical things.

Plans for a Chromegacontrol switch? Any out there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    That has a mini phone plug, right? I wonder if one could switch out the plug and use it for an Omega timer .... Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:
    It has the mini and the large.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    It has the mini and the large.

You can also get a mini to 1/4" adapter plug.

BTW, some switches are "normally open" (no connection until you press it). I have also seen "normally closed" (constant connection until you press then goes open). Depending on the design of the product.

The switches are simple to adapt but some of the crazy custom connectors can make it difficult. In that case I just find the two switch wires on the custom connector and wire to a 1/4in or mini connector. This voids warranties of course...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JJS -

I presume that since you are in the tropics of Minnesota (I recall some miserable 90+ deg August days in Minneapolis - as well as freezing my tush in International Falls in January), your Chromegatrol is a 120v. model. If so, I would expect that ia 120V foot switch would work with it. I suppose that is it possible that it is designed to switch at a lower voltage, but even so, a switch rated for 120V would work at lower voltages.

In that case, the only issues are to find a plug that matches the jack, and making sure that the switch "sense" is correct. Again, I would expect that the design expects an "a" contact (normally open), but it is always possible that it wants a "b" (normally closed).

Do you have the user manual for the Chrometrol? It should include a circuit diagram that would help answer the sense question. Of course, the other approach is to purchase a switch that can go either way, and experiment. Several of the switches sold by the vendor Reinhold suggested are SPDT - single-pole, double-throw (form "c" for those familiary with that terminology).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    A switch is a switch is a switch - - -
    Agreed. If all the timer needs is a momentary closure (short), than any switch works. It's a matter of matching up plugs, or opening the box to get at the wires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin