Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,384   Online: 716

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mylar "wine in a box" bags for chemicals

Anyone tried the "mylar" collapsable "wine in a box" type bags for storing chemicals? I've been using 1 gallon "canning" jars, with rubber ring, but their wide mouth is not too good for pouring.

I thought the bags might be a great solution- not much air contact, light tight (I think), and a handy spigot.

I've looked around, however, and I haven't found a good source for these. Anyone know of one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    Anyone tried the "mylar" collapsable "wine in a box" type bags for storing chemicals? I've been using 1 gallon "canning" jars, with rubber ring, but their wide mouth is not too good for pouring.

I thought the bags might be a great solution- not much air contact, light tight (I think), and a handy spigot.

I've looked around, however, and I haven't found a good source for these. Anyone know of one?
    No I don't know where to get them, but I would be very interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wine boxes are often mentioned as chemistry storage - and they are so much fun to prepare since you have to carefully dispose of the contents - - -

Actually, the concept is used by at least on manufacturer of photo chemistry (Sprint) as a form of packaging of their product.

While I haven't actually shopped for them, however, I share the concern - - - I don't recally seeing boxes in the wine shop that I go to. Somehow, I have an impression that the wine that would be packaged in boxes is about the same quality as that in bottles with screw tops - so perhaps a megga-store that carries an enormous range of product offerings would be more promising that a small specialty shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might have to buy them with the wine in them, and force yourself to drink said wine. Here's a brief excerpt from a box wine site:

Does boxed wine have a limited shelf life even if it is not opened?
    Yes. A bag-in-box wine has a shorter shelf life than bottled wine due microscopic amounts of oxygen that age the wine. This also happens in bottled wine, but more slowly.

So may not be the best solution for long storage.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is all I have found after a lot of Googling:

http://www.stoutbillys.com/stout/productn/(Flat)/8FD9CAD4.htm

They don't accept orders online. I emailed them to check availability. Post here if anyone contacts them, or any other good source!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried them for a time and found that the valve got "crudded up" (technical term :) ) with dried developer and became very difficult to operate.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    places that sell wine making or beer making [homebrewing] might have them in stock. But from what I remember they aren't for long term storage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you looked for Cubitainers? These are made of heavier plastic and are meant for chemical storage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I lived in South Africa I used to get some surplus from a local vineyard in exchange for some horticultural consultancy. Getting the fluids in can be a challenge however the keeping power is good because you can expel all the air.
    I used to gaffertape a loop of plastic to one corner and suspend them over the sink.
    Be sure to lable the contents VERY carefully and dont put them in the domestic fridge.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mylar bags have to be coated with aluminum to be impermeable to gases. Clear Mylar is not a good choice because of this. Mylar has a very poor puncture resistance, which is why it is mainly/only used for long-term storage as a liner for other containers (cardboard boxes, polyethylene buckets). The fact that Mylar bags are only used for packaging disposable products with a very short usefull life is probably the best indicator that this material is not a good choice for storing photochemicals.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin