Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,166   Posts: 1,614,431   Online: 870

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Nicole, if the price is reasonable and the unit is an efficient one I would stongly urge you to get the print washer.

Agfa made a number of good enlargers. Is this unit auto-focus? Whether it is or not please make sure that your enlarging lenses are first rate. If you replace an auto focus enlarging lens with a different lens it may no longer give as good a performance in an auto-focus as the original and require touch up focus with a magnifier. For an auto-focus enlarger to work most reliably, glass carriers are highly recommended. Actually, glass carriers are a big optical plus for any negatives.

If you send me a private email with your address I will mail you a Kodak book on darkroom construction.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole: this is great news.

If you've got some direct sunlight hitting the windows, you can put some foam board insulation ( which is covered in reflective foil ) in the window. Besides keeping some heat out of the room, direct sun CAN make black plastic sorta glow. This might not be necessary, and it can change your neighbor's life style, but it can help a darkroom.

You can experiment with work counter heights. You really don't want to be bending over very much.

What size prints will you make ? Without running water, you probably find that lots of trays make darkroom life pleasant. You, and everybody else here, is very neat in the darkroom, but I spill stuff. So I use minimal volume solutions, and exchange them regularly. Then I never spill much. And I use big tray to hold the working trays. And I put paper towel in the bottom the the big trays so spilled solutions don't slosh around.

Watch where the enlarger throws light. Painting the area above and around the enlarger is a last resort, but keeping the enlarger well away from the walls help minimize reflections onto the paper. A couple 'flags' or boards place around the developer tray will let you expose and develop at the same time.

The most important things are music, and a place to put the liquid refreshment.

Brett Weston's darkroom let him open the doors and windows ( printing at night, right ? ) and look at the stars. I think that's sort of an ideal.

have fun

df
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right on Nicole.... I have some projects coming to an end and I am not taking a Fall class, so, I will be W/O a darkroom until after Christmas. That is, of course, unless I continue building my own... So, thanks for the motivation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Brett Weston's darkroom let him open the doors and windows ( printing at night, right ? ) and look at the stars. I think that's sort of an ideal. df
    That's it!!! That's my darkroom!!! We have mild temperatures in winter and hot summer nights. Printing at night with doors open, a glass of really nice Australian wine, good music (Norah Jones, Pete Murray, Jack Johnson to name just a few of my favourites) and a comfy chair whilst star gazing!!! Preferably with a telescope.

Some really great ideas here, thank you very much everyone! Keep 'em coming!
    Cheers, Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

AWRIGHT Girl!

Good for you...I'm building my first as a "shed" and posted this update http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/18131-its-not-quite-dark-yet.html last weekend...pics of my plans and current state are posted...As I shoot LF, I am putting a vac system (hose in wall, shop vac ouside-contained) to clean holders and keep enlarger clean.

I may add the hepa filter as Sean has done too.

Solar water heater and about nine feet height.

Now if I could only find an able bodied girlfriend to build the rest of it...

Keep us posted. Best. Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh Nicole you are going to have so much fun. I bet you can't wait to crank up the enlarger. Enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I would stongly urge you to get the print washer.
    Is this unit auto-focus? Glass carriers are highly recommended.
    If you send me a private email with your address I will mail you a Kodak book on darkroom construction.
    Well I just got home a short while ago with boxes of all this 'stuff'!!!

Hi Claire, yes I got the Agfa print washer and print dryer thown in as well.

The unit is aparantly auto-focus and comes with glass carriers. The enlarger accepts all negs up to 6x6 or 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and sectional enlargements from 9x12cm sheet films. It comes with the colour head.

The lenses are Agfa Color - Magnolar II 1:4.5/105 and 60 with Rodenstock lens caps. And an in perfect condition 10x12 masking frame.

I also got 3 bulk film rollers (french, German and Italian ones), Weston Master III light meter, Harmony exposure meter, Seconic 21 exposure meter, dev tanks, a Slik tripod, Cibachrome developing drum and something that could possibly be a densitometer? You connect it to the enlarger and darkroom lamp - Lightmaster. An old timer for the enlarger (non digital)

Everything comes with it's original instruction booklets in both German and English.

Off to a good start I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    What is an "aussie shed"?

Pete
    Hi Pete, as Glenn said there are so many varieties here in Australia. Ours are a bit clapped out, over 40 years old, built of asbestos (that has to go!!!) and corrigated iron. So far all four of them are housing my husbands.... stuff! Work tools, buckets, pieces of timber for 'one day just in case...' and actually, they are so full I have no idea what else is in them. Usually riddled with red-back spiders (EEK!), fold up chairs for watching the kids either play cricket down the park all day or watching the footy, plenty of eskies, umbrellas and sun-shades for the beach, boogie boards, surf boards, scateboards, scooters, bikes, balls, lawnmower, wippersnippers, ladders .... that kind of stuff. And they're great for attaching basketball and netball hoops to.

Many homes in Australia usually have one shed which come in many different sizes to suit the home and property. We inherited four sheds of various sizes when we bought the house 3 years ago. One shed is on old wood shed for the open fireplace. Basically, put all four sheds together and you have the size of our house. I think the previous owners had their priorities all back-to-front! So, my hubby has been building a nice big Australian varandah around the house for me and now I'm so happy about his next project - my shed. And this time it's going to be clad in timber. And big opening doors for night time open air printing!

The past 2 years have been very hard for me in many ways so this is such a beautiful gift which I'm most grateful for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jane
    I haven't figured out how to post thumbnails, but here's my present semi-permanent darkroom http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../Darkroom2.jpg
    Jane, I can't wait to post a photo of my darkroom!
    Wish I was as handy as you!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, this sounds great! Have you got a photo handy?

Sometimes I'm certain I must be living in the middle of the Nullabor Plains (desert!) with the amount of dust that settles in our house every day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    ever since I killed my dust issues I've enjoyed my darkroom more than ever. All negs crystal clean and prints clean, I have not had to spot a single print yet (and spotting is something I hate with a passion). My cure was running a mechanical hepa filter 24x7, and during darkroom work I now have hepa filtered air forced into the room, the air flow is designed so it pushes out any fumes which are infront of me out through a light tight vent. When the fan is turned on if there is any dust in the room (flashlight beam in the dark test) it's pushed out in about 5 minutes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin