Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,586   Online: 909

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, next time you're in town give us a hoi! I managed to meet up with Graeme Hird (Kalgoorlie) before. I'm usually tearing between shoots, framers, sporting events, schools, home, ... but we can always try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield
    Hi Nicole,

Congratulations on making the steps towards a darkroom. You're lucky to have four sheds to use. My current darkroom in our rented house is half a shed. Buy black plastic sheeting from a hardware shop and gaffa tape from Dick Smith's and you will be able to cut out any pesky light leaks.

Greetings from your part of the world (until tomorrow anyway, in Perth for business).
    Regards,
    Kevin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, that's five posts in a row from Nicole on this thread!

I'm starting to get the impression that you may be a tad excited about this acquisition... ...or am I wrong?!

Seriously, excellent news! I'm really thrilled for you.

I won't attempt to advise you on darkroom setup; there are far better sources than myself for your information. Just promise to post some of your first prints in the galleries!

All the best,

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    Sean, this sounds great! Have you got a photo handy?

Sometimes I'm certain I must be living in the middle of the Nullabor Plains (desert!) with the amount of dust that settles in our house every day!!!
    Well it wasn't easy to get it all going. The main thing was sealing the entire room 100%. Air is pushed into the room from one side and the only place it can get out is the light tight vent on the other side. We have bad moisture problems here in the winter so I had a "moisture master" system installed in the house. It sucks dry air from the roof cavity, filters it, heats it, and pushes it into the house. When I saw how much air it could push I had the guy split it and run one vent to the darkroom (best move I ever made). It sure does move some air and I've found the filter on it works great. I can also have a 16x20 tray of selenium toner wide open and not smell a thing. I believe you can buy just the fan and filter assembly for about $700NZ http://www.moisturemaster.co.nz
    I also have sheet rubber and vinyl flooring, and freshly painted and sealed walls. I keep everything in cupboards and rubbermaid storage bins to minimize places where dust can collect. It's not cheap, and it's a lot of work to make a dust free darkroom but I find it really paying off now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats, Nicole!

I know just how you feel! It's really exciting to get everything & anticipate setting it up & using it.

Don't be surprised if you get a wee bit "antsy" about using it the first time... I'd say that's pretty normal... a little bit of stage fright! Just ignore it!

I love my darkroom and I know you're gonna have a blast in yours!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    good music (Norah Jones, Pete Murray, Jack Johnson to name just a few of my favourites)
    No Mark Bunting? lol
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One other thing for a makeshift darkroom:

Make sure your safelight is securely placed and not just balanced on top of a cupboard, where it can fall and kill the bulb leaving you unable to print until you find a new bulb...

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm moving to a new apartment, currently, and my darkroom is quite temporary. I can't take the kitchen, or the bathroom. I just have a closet...

Pinned a black sheet to the doorframe, for day or night sheet film developing. In fact, I don't even have TABLES, yet. So there I am, sitting on the floor, rotating sheets of film in open trays... I don't have any electricity nearby, either, so I've been using diafine and my mechanical enlarger timer in 1-minute intervals (as long as it's 3 minutes, eh?)

Ridiculous, yes, but I can't just NOT do it! Crazy, what those chemicals do to you.
    Nate Davis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ... your constructive input!
    For some reason, which escapes me, big long deep sinks
    are popular. I've spent years working in a few darkrooms
    where the sink was the place for rinsing, washing up,
    and the source for water. Those labs had good
    water proof COUNTERS at a correct hight for
    ease of processing. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    The advice given about HEPA air filtration is very good advice indeed. Also very valuable is to install water filters so that you have clean water to make solutions for developing film. In my own case I was getting a good deal of crud on my negatives as a free gift from the water pipes in the house. I installed 5 micron filters on the water lines and the problem dissappeared.

Dust on your neatives is a real PITA especially for someone using glass carriers. Getting particulate matter on your film and having it dry in place is, in my opinion, much worse.

I see that you mention your Agfa enlarger is a color model. I am guessing, not being the least bit expert on Agfa enlargers, that this is simply a drawer for inserting filters. If it is a dichroic colorhead then I hope that the type of bulb required is still available. If you have no experience with colorheads the dichro models change filtration by using knobs. There were colorheads made prior to dichroic filters becoming available that used knobs with filters that passed light thru and these were subject to fading. I do not know if Agfa ever made this type. One very worthwhile suggesstion is to keep a spare enlarging bulb on hand. It used to be easy to pick one up years ago at any photo store. These days I would guess that even in many good sized
    cities you will not be able to find one on the shelf.

Just think with your Hasselblad and the Weston model III no batteries are required.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    One very worthwhile suggesstion is to keep a spare enlarging bulb on hand. It used to be easy to pick one up years ago at any photo store. These days I would guess that even in many good sized cities you will not be able to find one on the shelf.
    That's very good advice. My enlarger bulb went on the first print one night. Total waste of time and chemicals, not to mention the disappointment. I always have a spare on hand now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin