Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,000   Online: 884

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    I have a Dorian exhaust fan that makes an awful racket... I think I should have got the bigger version, maybe it runs slower and quieter, but have plans to move that away by putting it on the end of some ducting.
    I have been using Panasonic inline whisper fans for about two years. They are very quiet and come in a range of capacities and types. I read about them on the Large Format page and decided to give them a try. The only sound you hear is the sound of wind in the four inch duct.. I hope they have an Australian importer/distributor. The air coming into my darkroom goes through a high grade furnace filter which I can clean as needed.

Here is a link to the US source I used and product description http://www.rewci.com/panwhisvenfa.html
    Panasonic inline whisper fans are more expensive than the hardware store type bathroom fans, but the hours of peaceful quiet work in the darkroom, or the ability to hear your music without mechanical noises, have been well worth the price.

Enjoy,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    I'll second the above portion of your post this thread
    although I'm not sure what you've in mind by DEEP.
    Of course a sink is also a place to draw water.

A sink large enough to handle the largest tray used is
    probably best although a rare 20x24 could be handled
    otherwise. I've not been able to find any good reason
    for lengthy counter consuming sinks. I'd rather a
    sink, and for processing, a counter. Dan
    Good point: "deep" can mean two different things - I meant in the vertical dimension. I think you are right though - a sink large enough to do the washing, with perhaps a shallower part for mixing up chems and placing the washer is more important than the long shallow kind of sink I have (7' long, 26" front-to-back, 6" high - useful if you are as messy as me though!). In an ideal world (and in a larger darkroom) I'd have both...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The best thing I did on my last darkroom was to put all of the electrical on the walls in conduit instead of in the walls with romex. I cost a bit more and took a lot more time but I have been able to make changes with little problem. Also I ran a seperate circut just for a space heater, nothing worse than triping a breaker in the middle of somthing and loosing all power because the heater kicked on.

The sink and counter tops are higher than normal kitchen counters. This keeps me from bending all the time, easy on the back.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The part of my (new) darkroom that wasn't correctly designed is the exhaust fans, too. The hood that "sucks" air should have been installed BEHIND the sink where the trays with the chemicals lie, not above. I have already said that, but it is important, so I'll say it again and again... Don't make the same mistake I did...

I would be happier with a silent air exhaust system, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    George, Why do you get to start? I am much older and have made many more mistakes than have you.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd add that it's important to be comfortable for long periods of time, so either a rolling chair with an adjustable height feature or rubber mats on the floor like they use in restaurant kitchens. When working at the enlarger it's nice to sit and roll back and forth to the sink. If this isn't possible the rubber mats make it so much easier to stand for long periods of time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Good point: "deep" can mean two different things - I meant in the vertical dimension. I think you are right though - a sink large enough to do the washing, with perhaps a shallower part for mixing up chems and placing the washer is more important than the long shallow kind of sink I have (7' long, 26" front-to-back, 6" high - useful if you are as messy as me though!). In an ideal world (and in a larger darkroom) I'd have both...

Cheers, Bob.
    I built my own sink with a "deep well" at one end of the sink - allows 6 additional inches of depth and takes up about 18 inches of horizontal sink space. This allows the trays to be at a comfortable depth for print processing and gives me a deep portion where the wash-up operations take place. I then screwed in a plexiglass ridge along the end of the sink. This ridge has a upward facing flange that fits nicely into the space formed by the rolled-over lip on my Patterson trays. This allows a tray to bridge the "deep well" so you don't have to sacrifice comfortable processing real-estate for the deep well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    George, Why do you get to start? I am much older and have made many more mistakes than have you.
    So what ??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin