Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,495   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Darkroom do overs or oh yeahs

Now that Nicole is getting to build her darkroom, I thought it would be good to add what we might do differently. Or what was a good thing to include.

I'll start, I have found that that there can never be to many ways to turn on the main light. My 4th darkroom had 4 switches. The room was 20 feet long. Nice not to have to walk to the door to turn it on.

My 5th darkroom is smaller 9x10 feet. I have separated the developing and mounting areas, which is also great on cutting down on dust. Anyway I figured It wasn't to far to get to the dor (2 Steps) I can not believe how annoying it is to have to go to the door to turn on the light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your sink can NEVER BE TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Your sink can NEVER BE TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine's along those lines: you need one DEEP sink. I have a long shallow one which is great for rocking dishes etc but water splashes about so much when you wash up that I take the stuff in to the bathroom next door to wash trays and graduates etc in the bath...

Bob.

P.S. for the light, you can get IR remote controlled light switches and lamp holders...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been adding under bench shelves, so I should have got a lot more in the 1st place. I do have a white (room) light switch at each end, but when I added a 4x5 enlarger and moved the 35mm/MF unit up the other end of the bench, the white light switch is not within arms length, so it would be nice to have another closer (it isn't going to happen so I'll just have to learn to live without it). I had my sink made from acrylic sheet and was expecting it to be plastic welded (I'm sure I specified that!) but it turned up glued and siliconed. This means the joins are not that strong and if you lean on the front edge, it can bend and break the glue bond, although the silicon holds on. I'm used to it but I always have to advise people not to lean on it if they venture into the dark. One day I might get that fixed. I have a Dorian exhaust fan that makes an awful racket... I think I should have got the bigger version, maybe it runs slower and quieter, but have plans to move that away by putting it on the end of some ducting. My print inspection light is switched by a cord hanging from the roof, that works well. I recently added a whyteboard for writing up current info, things like film/devl combos, that has come in handy. I should have got a 2nd tap outlet... I had that on my mind but never got around to changing the house drawings and next thing the plumber had been and gone. Otherwise, I'm happy with my bench height and the distance between them. I put industrial carpet on the floor and that's been great (I never spill anything... that's what the sinks for!). My only real disappointment is the time I get in there... not enough!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MORE ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

inverse square law

I'm thinking that the inverse square law should apply to building a darkroom, as in "the size, amount of storage, electrical and plumbing features are inversely proportional to the square of your original estimate."

My darkroom fit into a 5x10' alcove in my basement. I wish it was twice the size. In actuality I'd like 4 times as many electrical outlets as I have. And storage space? I could easily fill up 16 times as much as I have.

My motto for my next darkroom: too much is never enough!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm looking at getting a 4x5 enlarger, and last night I went to measure up my darkroom to see where I would put it. It's easy enough to find a spot, when your darkroom's only 1m x 2m Space is the big thing I need ALOT more of. It would be nice to have it all inside there, too, without having to go into the laundry to clean things up or do most of the wet stuff.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I to keep adding shelfs. I did put in a print drying rack this time, don't know how I lived without it before. I also wished I planned more storage for paper. When I had the wet table built I thought 4 16x20 trays would be enough. Well 5 would be better. I wish I could put in a sink that would take 5 20x24 trays now. Ah the stuff we learn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    needs in my darkroom:
    - a real 35mm film dryer cabinet
    - more drying racks for prints: you can never have enough of that

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    ... you need one DEEP sink.
    ....to wash trays and graduates etc
    I'll second the above portion of your post this thread
    although I'm not sure what you've in mind by DEEP.
    Of course a sink is also a place to draw water.

A sink large enough to handle the largest tray used is
    probably best although a rare 20x24 could be handled
    otherwise. I've not been able to find any good reason
    for lengthy counter consuming sinks. I'd rather a
    sink, and for processing, a counter. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin