Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,353   Posts: 1,682,570   Online: 740

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Choosing between a machine (DURST rcp20/40/50 /printo anything else) or by hand

Hi everyone.
    I am working on my Darkroom and am at a point where I have to choose between a machine for printing or by hand.

I am used to a machine at the school of art I attain, and it's very very easy there. But at home I have to worry about costs etc.

I won't be doing any large amounts of photo's. but that does not mean I don't want the comfort of a machine.

What's the cheapest? Is printing by hand really very irritating? Will it make a mess?

Any input is welcome!!
    Greetings Game (art student - photography)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&W? Colour? What size prints?

For B&W I use trays and wouldn't use anything else.

For colour I use drums on a motorbase. A print processor would be great if I did alot of prints at a time but I can't justify the cost with my volume. Plus with drums I can print 5x7 to 16x20 with the same equipment. Bigger processors tend to be even more expensive and they use more chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color by machine - black and white by hand.

You really can't mess to much with color processing and its takes total darkness - not enjoyable at all by hand (even Jobos are boring). Whereas in B&W, printing is half the fun. Once to go to alt. processes (where to make your own materials) its even more enjoyable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for replying so quick.
    I will use the darkroom for colour only. B&W i can do fine at school.
    You are quite clear i your answers: I should go for a machine.

Can you give any input on what types are great???

Plus: The machine should be ably the handle sizes upto 70x50 cm at least.

Do I have to do printing in one session? Or can I go home a week or 2 or 3 or 4...... and come back and use the machine again.

Thanks again for any input!
    Greetings Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50cm is a pretty big (and expensive) machine. Based on the metric measurement you're not in the US, so I'm not sure about other countries. In the US, if I needed to print that large regularly I'd probably thry to pickup a used Hope, Keolite (sp?) or Coletia (sp?). One just went in my neck of the woods (Washington State) for about $100. They are expensive to run. A lot of them require 220V, several gals. of chemistry and lots of running hot water. If you waited a week or two between runs the chemistry would go bad. If you drain the machine to save the chemistry in air-tight containers, the chemistry would last longer, but I think it would be very hard on the machine (drying out) unless to did a major cleaning each time. Unless you are cranking out lots of prints, its problably not worth it.

If you you need a small run, you might want to consider a Jobo. I think you can get a 20x24 drum (Jobo experts help me out). You have to babysit the run (unless you get a very highend machine for $1000s) but it would be more economical. Jobos tend to run between $400 and $1000 USD on ebay. New they are at least $1200 (I think).

The most economical is to do what I do. We have a rental darkroom (at a photography school) in the Seattle area that has a big 54" Hope machine. So check around. Or you can just send them to a custom lab. Depending on your volume, it might actually be cheaper in the long run

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm..

I have to say that this whole darkroom thing is not as easy to create at home as one (at least myself) would aspect.
    Are your familiar with any of the types I mentioned in the topic title? the durst rcp20, rcp40, rcp50 and the printo? Those are the ones offered mostly in my neighbourhood.

Ideal would be a machine that can be filled with smaal amounts off chemicals at the time. Maybe I should think smaller for my own darkroom and if I have an exhibition or something make a example print and ask the lab to print just like that in large.

I think the image would be quite clear if I have the answers to my question in this post, ... thankS!!!

Game/Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game

Ideal would be a machine that can be filled with smaal amounts off chemicals at the time.

Then you don't want a processor you want drums. I think the printo needs 2+litres per bath. Bigger machines will need even more. OTOH the 20x24" Jobo drums needs 300ml. Smaller drums even less. If you're doing low volume the drums are just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks,

I never worked with drums before. Except for develloping film.
    I will search the internet for some information on it. Will develloping I won't do myself, I'll just bring it to a lab, and ask them to make one overview print.

I'll post it if something new comes up.

Greetings Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.jobo-usa.com/products/2800.htm

Might be the only ones still made. Can handle almost anything for low volume use. I can easily do 10+ 8x10s a hour if I really want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    Hi everyone.
    I am working on my Darkroom and am at a point where I have to choose between a machine for printing or by hand.

I am used to a machine at the school of art I attain, and it's very very easy there. But at home I have to worry about costs etc.

I won't be doing any large amounts of photo's. but that does not mean I don't want the comfort of a machine.

What's the cheapest? Is printing by hand really very irritating? Will it make a mess?

Any input is welcome!!
    Greetings Game (art student - photography)
    You don`t say where you`re from, I`ve got a Durst Printo for sale if you`re interested, fine for resin coated papers and excellent consistency, not much use if you`re using fibre based papers though which is why I hardly use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin