Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,343   Online: 1005

Thread: Omega question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega question

I've just gotten a 1950's Omega B8 enlarger in fabulous condition. With it came a separate condenser lens labeled "for 2.25x2.25". There is one enlarging lens (a Schneider 75mm) and there are negative stages for 35, 2.25x2.25 and two for 2.25x3.25, one slightly larger than the other (!) I assume that one must be for sheet film and the other for 120 roll film. Good guess?

And since the man who used this enlarger shot 35mm exclusively, I also assume that the mounted condenser lens is for that format. Does this mean that I have to have a separate condenser for 2.25x3.25? the one for square format is new and in great shape, but there is only that one... Should I also expect to change lenses with format changes, as I do on the Beselers that I am used to?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but then I'm among friends, right? People keep writing in about how APUG has gotten more combative and less friendly but I still think this is the greatest source of good advice going.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use the largest condensor all of the time, but you will sacrifice some light volume when using it with the smaller formats. Also, you don't have to change lenses when going to a smaller format (you can use an 80mm for both 6x6 and 35mm, but can't use a 50mm on 6x6), but the longer lens may not allow you to print as large as you wish.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the larger condenser will allow you to print all formats up to that point, but the exposure times will climb for the smaller formats (I don't think it should be a big deal). The lenses will work as they did on your other enlargers. Sorry if I'm just repeting what Jeremy said

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTES=Whiteymorange]
    "I've just gotten a 1950's Omega B8 enlarger ...
    ...I assume that one must be for sheet film and the
    other for 120 roll film. Good guess?"

I've two, one in use, and two 21/4x 31/4 carriers; a glass
    and a sheet.

"... I have to have a separate condenser for 2.25x3.25?"

Your two large condensers will cover all sizes and any
    focal length enlarging lens. I currently have a 105mm
    installed. That, BTW, is max.

FWIW, I suggest 'floating' the condenser assembly by
    loosening the two side nuts a bit. That way the assembly
    will settle flat upon the carrier. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, everybody. The beast will be set up in a couple of weeks and tested. I, happy to have one that I can leave set up for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 since I shoot that format and nobody else who uses the darkroom does. (Another goodie in this last gift bag was a Busch Pressman in that format. Great shape with an Adapt-a-Roll that I've been able to make work with 120.) The Beselers that we have are easily converted, but I sometimes forget to shift things back and the poor students wonder what happened to their 35's when they go to print.

BACK TO SCHOOL! If the kids only understood that the teachers are just as reluctant to come back after the summer they might feel better. Not much, mind you, but...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin