Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,570   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

New Print Washer

I have been washing my prints in a fish tank which has limited my washing capacity to 11X14.

While in the local photog store here in Alb. NM, I was introduced to a used 16X20 print washer out in the back room. After a little haggle this washer found itself in the back of my truck on the home.

I have no idea what kind this is or how to operate it. There was no plumbing with it and no directions.

I am wondering if any of you folks can recognize what brand this might be and if anybody has experience with this style.

I have attached some photos (hopefully).

There appears to be two small threaded (3/8") input holes one on each end. Additionally, there is a third threaded hole on one side which I am assuming is the drain.

Thanks for any comments you folks might have on this washer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printwasher1.jpg   printwasher2.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Perhaps, stating the obvious, the washer shown in your photo is a vertical washer. However, to function properly, this type of washer requires putting water in at the bottom and extracting it at the top. In theory, this take the fixer that is heavier than water up and out the top. If, in fact, there is such a design arrangement, I can't see in your photo. However, you could modify this easily enough yourself.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    looks a lot like my Oriental washer that I am sure is re-badged from some other unknown maker. Sorry I cannot be of futher assistance.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 08-12-2005 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Perhaps, stating the obvious, the washer shown in your photo is a vertical washer. However, to function properly, this type of washer requires putting water in at the bottom and extracting it at the top. In theory, this take the fixer that is heavier than water up and out the top. If, in fact, there is such a design arrangement, I can't see in your photo. However, you could modify this easily enough yourself.

Shouldn't this be instead: water coming from the top and leaving at the bottom? The heavier residues will fall naturally at the bottom of the washer, so that they will drain away with the water by gravity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    Shouldn't this be instead: water coming from the top and leaving at the bottom? The heavier residues will fall naturally at the bottom of the washer, so that they will drain away with the water by gravity.
    Nope, don't work that way. Fred Picker thought so too and sold a lot of washers that didn't wash.

Water enters from the bottom and lifts the chemistry by friction, naturally carrying it to the top (like water & oil - oil is lighter, so is photochemistry) and out over the top. Once your washer is filled, a simple syphon will keep the movement going or it may be designed to simply over flow in a sink. It takes the same amount of water to do one print as it does 10 prints, depending on how many the washer can accommodate. It is wasting water to do just a few prints. May be less wasteful to do the maximum number but will still be expensive if you pay for water. But it sure will clean fiber prints in a short amount of time.

My $.02

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My washer is similar to the one you have, with thicker walls and flaps for carrying the tank. The water goes in from the bottom. The dual tubes on the sides sucks in air to create bubbles which will help agitate the print as they are being cleaned. The washer doesnt have an exit tube and is basically a spill-over washer. I have problems with this since I don't have a darkroom sink and end up having the print washer sit in the bathtub when washing my prints.

Oh, and the brand I have is East Street Gallery Print Washer.

Andy
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Agreed, pure fixer is heavier than water. But in the washer they mix and diffuse. So the only function of the washer is to introduce clean water, mix with the fixer, and let the contaminated water exit. It should make no difference if the clean water is introduced at the top or bottom, as long as the clean water mixes and diffuses throughout the tank before it exits.

What does make a difference, is to expose as much of the paper to the water as possible. That is, there should be some method of separating the sheets, to keep them from touching one another.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am unfamiliar with the pictured washer but have designed an built several of these and am well familiar with the general principle. Forget the heavier than water discussions. That would only be applicable in a totally stagnant environment.

You are exposing the paper to a leaching process in which water soluble chemicals are being drawn out of the gelatin emulsion and are going into solution in the wash water. The important factors in washer design is to introduce a flow that will create a slight current to all parts of the washer. Most designs will create an inlet pressure box that introduces 2 or more jets into each paper slot. The beauty of this design is that you can achieve a good wash with relatively low levels of flow.

You are correct in identifying the three holes. One will be a supply inlet for fresh wash water, one will be a discharge for "used" wash water (usually at the top of the unit) and the last will be a drain for emptying the unit at the conclusion of the wash session.

As an aside, I plumbed my washer so that the discharge water flows into my print holding tray, providing a slow "double-duty" supply of water for prints awaiting their turn in the final wash.
    Last edited by blaughn; 08-13-2005 at 01:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo correction

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Print Washer - More info

I am really glad I asked you folks this question. The guy at the camera store was convinced this should be operated with an inflow at both ends.

I have attached a drawing of this washer (which I should have done with the pictures).

I can see now after reading your comments that the water should be coming into the washer from the Left side small opening. It then enters the divided chamber holding the prints, fills to the level of the spillway on the right side and the exits through the large opening on the right. The lower smaller opening on the right is probably a drain to be used at the conclusion of the wash cycle (as blaughn has suggested, thanks).
    Last edited by shicks5319; 08-13-2005 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add Attachment

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

drawing for printwasher

For some reason, I could not attach the jpg drawing in my previous reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin