Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bessler 67CS vs 23CII

I own a Bessler 23CII... I know its a decent enlarger. I have used similar before and I am pretty happy with owning it... (haven;t use this one yet though)

I have a chance to buy a Bessler 67CS Dichro.... I also have a color analyzer that I won for 99 cents.... I think the only thing wrong with it is it is missing the elevation knob, but still works fine.. It also comes with a couple of lenses and neg carriers.

Anyway, what are the major advantages of the dichro over the condensor.. I'm guessing that I can enlarge the same size negs with either. Obviously, I can do color ( if I dare learn how to)... Anything else I should know??

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    with the color head you can dial in contrast levels other than in 1/2 grades.

I think the 23cc is more stable, but that is just a personnal observation.
    In a gang darkroom the 67 didn't hold up as well; however, with one user you may be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 23C will do 6X9 negs, the 67CS does up to 6X7 negs.
    Nice thing about the color head is you can do VC printing just by dialing in the filtration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I miss the 23CIII VC's, with the built in filters, from school........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main advantage of the colour head comes when you print colour. For B&W it's a little lower in contrast. Shows less grain. Less dust.

From what I've heard the 67 is basically a consumer enlarger. I would expect it to be worse then your 23.

It sounds like the only thing you're gaining from the 67 is the colour head. Why not keep your eye open for a 4x5 colour enlarger? IIRC the 23 negative carriers will even fit the Beseler 45s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, the price is right, but I guess that explains why..... I figured the 67 was a step up from the 23... I also thought that a dichro head was better, in some departments, than a condensor..... Eventually, I will want a 4x5 enlarger and have the other for a second..... Maybe the 67 would be a good second for the color application....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    IIRC the 23 negative carriers will even fit the Beseler 45s.
    Our darkroom is pretty much all beselers, we have 4 23s and 5 45s. Unfortunately, they use different negative carriers, although they do use the same lens boards. The 45 carrier is much larger and the 23 carrier will basically about fall through the hole in the 45.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    Well, the price is right, but I guess that explains why..... I figured the 67 was a step up from the 23... I also thought that a dichro head was better, in some departments, than a condensor..... Eventually, I will want a 4x5 enlarger and have the other for a second..... Maybe the 67 would be a good second for the color application....
    I mostly use dichro enlargers for my B&W work. I find that the output I get is just fine and I don't see an appreciable loss of sharpness. Perhaps I am not as picky as others. The only ways that I think the dicro head is better are for doing color and for the convenience of having dial in filtration for contrast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I paid about $230 for my 23CII and I think I can get this 67 for about $150 shipped.... Plus it comes with a couple of lenses and a few neg holders... I will just use both for a bit and see which one I like better.... The loser will probably become my sons first enlarger ...

Shooter
    Medium Format

I bought it all.....

Just am update... I got the Beseler 67 for $99... The color analyzer for 99 CENTS (!). A 2 bladed 11x14 easel for $15 (Bogen).. Two screw in, Kodak, darkroom lights for $10 and $80 for shipping.... Decent deal?
    Last edited by Bighead; 08-16-2005 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I eat popsicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin