Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,685   Online: 767

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yippie! A spinning darkroom door!

Yea! Lookie what I just scored for my upcoming darkroom construction!
    A spinning darkroom door for US$67 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7537721496

I'll probably pay about that for the truck rental to go pick it up, but this is WAY cool. I would have never expected that I'd be have a genuine darkroom door for this darkroom.

Happy feet!

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin:

Um, ... Wow! :o

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin...you realize that some of us are going to have to struggle not to hate you for this, don't you?

Congratulations...a great score. Color me jealous!
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEVIN !

this really limits the size of a pizza you can get into the darkroom

and how will you ever get a 16x20 out ?

you just have to think before you Ebay !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Images
    A busy multi-image house that I worked at used those on all the darkrooms. If the door was turned away from you, the procedure was to smack the door a couple of times with your open palm as a warning and whip the door around practically in the same motion. If someone was half in the other side of the door, they knew they'd better jump in or out fast or they would become a door stop. Surprisingly, this actually worked pretty smoothly even with lots of people working frantically on different projects.

In a home DR, i can't think of a downside, a great light/dark transition in a minimum of space. As df mentioned, there is the pizza problem to consider but here's a trick: even the largest pizzas can be easily folded to fit through the door with room for a six pack to spare
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    wait until you get some dust caught in the track the noise will drive you nuts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    A busy multi-image house that I worked at used those on all the darkrooms. If the door was turned away from you, the procedure was to smack the door a couple of times with your open palm as a warning and whip the door around practically in the same motion. If someone was half in the other side of the door, they knew they'd better jump in or out fast or they would become a door stop. Surprisingly, this actually worked pretty smoothly even with lots of people working frantically on different projects.
    [...]
    When I was in the Navy, the print rooms I used on shore tended to have these doors, but the one onboard ship had a 3-door vestibule. (Hrm.. come to think of it, I think only the b&w printroom had a vestibule. The color printroom had a spinning door, I think)

My favorite story about these doors isn't really fit for direct transcription into apug, but when I went to a photo school in Key West, FL, we'd come back from lunch and, uh, editorialize as we were, uh, passing through the door and quickly close it back halfway to surprise the poor schmuck who came in next. (*smirk*)

Good point about 16x20s or larger mounted prints, not to mention large boxes of paper. Maybe I'll have to separate the structure into finishing and processing/printing areas so I mount outside the the darkroom and/or build some sort of a passthrough into the wall.

I anticipate this being just invaluable when I want to pop out of the darkroom for something during printing sessions or especially during lengthy DBI sessions.

:)

-KwM-

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the classic way to install these doors was alongside a conventional door that locks from the dark side. That way, you could open the regular door (which can be light sealed in the usual way with weatherstrip material and such) to bring items in or out that wouldn't pass through the revolving door (like enlargers or large prints), but ensure against "surprises"; the only way to open the flat door without a key or a fire axe was to go through the revolving door, which facilitated ensuring the darkroom wasn't in use and checking that materials were all covered.

Fortunately for me, my darkroom is also my master bathroom, and I rent -- so I won't be jealous. Even better, I know how to make a 2-door vestibule that absolutely will not permit both doors to open at the same time, so if/when I ever get a darkroom I can call my own, I'll be able to make something that works as well as this.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had this auction in my watch list.... I wasn't ready for another "equipment road trip"... Thats great..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    I had this auction in my watch list.... I wasn't ready for another "equipment road trip"... Thats great..
    I think there's another couple of doors, still new in box, for US$145 each somewhere on eBay, and a used one for US$450

The 'equipment road trip' can be fun sometimes, though. When I won my Beseler 4x5 enlarger, I borrowed my Bro-in-law's SUV, packed up my then 3-year old son in the back and drove to Waco, TX to collect it.

This door'll be sitting right next to it in the garage waiting for me to break ground on the new darkroom.

-KwM-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin