Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,976   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

what is replenishment?

Hello,
    I like to know what replenishment excactly is, and what's there to know about it.
    I am dutch, so I simply don't understand the word "replenishment". Since there is no dutch word for it... I am not getting any furder.

So please help me understand.

Thanks Game

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is probably someone who speaks Dutch who can just translate it for you, but "replenishment" in the darkroom refers to adding a fresh chemical solution to a used solution to maintain the strength of the solution. Sometimes it may be the same solution, and sometimes it may be a replenisher, which is a little different from the original solution. Usually this method would be used for development in deep tanks or a roller processor, where you would want to reuse the chemicals many times, rather than mixing fresh chemicals for each batch.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replenishment is removing some of the used chemicals and replacing it with some replenisher. The replenisher might be a different chemical or just the same stuff. Unless you're doing a lot of processing or doing colour I don't think replenishing makes much sense. For B&W I do a lot one shot. Developer is used once and tossed. Fixer and stop I just keep track how much I've used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some old timers replenished D76 and keep tanks going for years, they feel that a "ripened tank" has a softer look with a longer tonal range that they like for landscapes. I have a one gallon jug of Microdol X that I have been replensihed for the past year or so, just because I found a some packets of replensiher real cheap. I think the contrast is increasing some, but I have not tested a roll to see if there are any differences between rolls that were process as one shot and those processed in my current tank. I have started to use Harvey's 777 (Defender 777) and Edwal 12 and the preferred method is to use new developer to replace 1/2 of the old developer at a given point. I have not yet gotten to that point so I dont know what what to expect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I have started to use Harvey's 777 (Defender 777)
    You need to replenish Harvey's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont think I have processed the recommended square inches of film before I do the dumb and add, what do you recommend?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, I think I have the idea.
    So the fact that the bottles on my printing machine are called replenishment bottles, is because they add some chemicals to the process when needed.
    The waste should be trown away afterwards... (?)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I dont think I have processed the recommended square inches of film before I do the dumb and add, what do you recommend?
    For a gallon, add 6 oz. every 8 sheets of 8x10 (80 sq. in.). On Ed Buffaloe's Unblinkingeye site there's a replenishment chart for 777 in the article by Fred DeVan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    ok, I think I have the idea.
    So the fact that the bottles on my printing machine are called replenishment bottles, is because they add some chemicals to the process when needed.
    The waste should be trown away afterwards... (?)
    That sounds correct. However, you really need the manual for your machine which should explain all. Perhaps someone here will be familiar with that specific machine if you tell us its make and model.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't speak Dutch, but in German "replenish" is "regenerieren" and "replenisher" is "Regenerat" - does this help?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin