Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,752   Online: 895

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Should a color darkroom always be without lights?

Should a color darkroom always be without lights?
    I have the feeling I once read an article in which was stated that it is possible to have special spectrum lamps that also allow you to see stuff even in a color darkroom. Something about Natrium light??

Anyone a clue, I could not find a thing when searching the forum
    Thanks GAme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since color film is sensitive to all visible light the color darkroom must be completely dark.

Sodium vapor safelights can only be used with B&W papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In previous port said "film" and meant to say "film and paper".

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been told by experienced workers that RA-4 papers to in fact permit a very dim orange safelight. I don't know if it can be bright enough to actually see anything, but at the least, it'll let you cut down on bumping the enlarger with your head...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, well I can always ask my photoshop (the actual store outside )
    but I don't know if they'd know anything about it.

The orange light I never heard of, but I very dimmed light would be pleasent I feel. In a B/W darkroom I can see quite good after an hour.

Anyone else?
    Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    I always work in the dark until my paper is entirely in the processor. However; Both Thomas for their sodium vapor and Jobo sell safelights that emit light of a very narrow wavelenght band that are supposed to be usable with color paper.

How good do they work? dunno.
    Claire
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    Ok, well I can always ask my photoshop (the actual store outside )
    but I don't know if they'd know anything about it.

The orange light I never heard of, but I very dimmed light would be pleasent I feel.

Anyone else?
    Thanks
    By the way I am talking about paper only...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Claire.
    I already thought something like this existed.
    Maybe there is someone that has actual experience with these kinds of light.

-can one see something with such a lamp or is it too little light?
    -doesn't it affect the prints at all?

Game

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a very nice darkroom lamp - Durst Sanat, dedicated primarily to colour work, with a natrium spectral lamp inside plus an interference filter... alas, it was designed for old papers Today's papers like Kodak Endura are so sensitive that they get the nasty bluish fog with the lamp, though its light is quite indirect. One can minimize it by using some ND filters inside the lamp, but I prefer to work in a complete darkness for better safety. The ergonomics of your color darkroom is quite important, then

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by game
    Something about Natrium light??

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Both Thomas for their sodium vapor and Jobo sell safelights that emit light of a very narrow wavelenght band that are supposed to be usable with color paper.How good do they work? dunno.
    Claire
    The most used sodium safelight over here is safe providing that it is not too brightly set. (it is adjustable) It is always wise however, to carry out light checks as distance from sensitive materials is often critical.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin