Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,296   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Darkroom Water Heater

I am building a BXW darkroom (stand alone) and wonder how big of a water heater I need? I will being processing roll and sheet film (semi-stand and Jobo) and printing (mainly fiber). Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msage
    ... a water heater I need?
    If you've the electricity consider a tankless with
    photo-lab temperature control. Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have just installed a bosch tankless natural gas heater in a small house, It works great. They are available in LPG, NG and electric.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, a tankless is probably the way to go. It only heats when the water flows, so tend to be inexpensive to run. Is very compact since it has no storage tank & gives you more room for other storage. etc. etc.

Images
    I have two tankless water heaters in my place. I love them and they work well, but I don't know that they are perfect for a darkroom. Maybe the electric ones would be okay, but mine are gas and won't turn on until there is a minimum flow of 1/2 gallon per minute. Below this, it's cold. If you need just hot, this works, but if you need warm water (cold and a little hot) for washing prints and such, you're had.

A small electric under the counter might work better and is certainly cheaper. You can buy a 6 gallon and this might be fine. Just turn it on only when in the dark. Maybe someone here has tried this.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    A small electric under the counter might work better and is certainly cheaper. You can buy a 6 gallon and this might be fine. Just turn it on only when in the dark. Maybe someone here has tried this.
    I put a 2 gallon in mine. I don't need it for washing (Texas) and I figured I'd only need hot water for mixing powdered chems. Well, a 2 gallon heater is not enough for anything! Takes a long time to heat up, then is gone in seconds. Yes, I can get enough to mix a gallon of Dektol, but it's less trouble just to heat the water in the microwave. YMMV

A larger one would have to be better if you have the space!!!

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you want the hot water for? If its for a water bath for printing or C41/E 6 processing either a tank or a tankless unit will work depending on the temp of your darkroom, if is just for mixing consider liquid concentrates or a hot plate. When I lived in Northern California I had a small sink and I used 2 fish tank heater to keep the trays to 68.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got to second the idea of a tankless heater. I did a quick google search and this is the first page I came up with:
    http://www.plumbingstore.com/index-t...erheaters.html

When I build my next darkroom, I plan on either a point-of-use or the next size up water heater. For B&W, though, depending on where you live, expect the water heater to mostly be useful only for chemical mixing and for bringing winter water up to 68f or so.

I anticipate a water chiller to be a greater value in the darkroom, and I'll probably end up doing a variation on this:
    http://www.yoshi.us/forums/showthrea...7&page=7&pp=10

basically just find a cheap cruddy dorm or under-the-desk fridge from a resale shop, drill and place input and output lines in the top and run the water through as many feet of coiled copper tubing as I can fit in the fridge and set the temp to about 40.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the feedback. My experience with "on demand" has not been good. You have to have a flow rate too high to maintain a stable 68 degrees. We have one at work and I hate it!!! The plumber thinks a 19 Gal. water heater will be fine. As in my first post, I will being processing roll and sheet film (semi-stand and Jobo) and printing (mainly fiber). I usually don't use a running water bath to maintain temp. I add hot or cold as needed. The most use of the water heater would be maintaining the wash water temp. I use liquid concentrates and very little powered chemicals that need to be mixed at higher temps.

More on tankless heaters, they work well on higher temps (great on the E-6 line at work), not so good on lower temps (BXW at 68 degrees). IMHO

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msage
    [...]
    More on tankless heaters, they work well on higher temps (great on the E-6 line at work), not so good on lower temps (BXW at 68 degrees). IMHO

Michael
    Interesting. After looking more closely, I see they've got a little editorial blurb on that site I mentioned that 110v/15amp tankless heaters just plain don't work well. I notice that they all require pretty hefty power (the electric ones).

Do you have any experience with the larger (whole house) tankless heaters? Gas or electric?

-KwM-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin