Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,786   Online: 859

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Norah Jones

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    On Morten's Darkroom assistant

Now THAT'S funny!

and hypo allergenic, too!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I listen to Norah Jones AND norwegian satanic black metallers Dimmu Borgir...I, myself, is a paradox man
    I too have "different" taste in music. It could be Howlin' Wolf or GreenDay, almost anything except Country, no offence country music fans.

Nicole I hope you have found your Nora Jones CD. If I see it in a store I'll give it a listen.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    I too have "different" taste in music. It could be Howlin' Wolf or GreenDay, almost anything except Country, no offence country music fans.

Nicole I hope you have found your Nora Jones CD. If I see it in a store I'll give it a listen.
    Didn't used to be that keen on country either, till I discovered Gram Parsons and through him Emmylou Harris-been enjoying her stuff a lot in the kitchen at work lately (Wrecking Ball is a good late night album). If you're looking for that chilled out vibe you might also try: Billie Holliday/ Ella Fitzgerald, Spirit of Eden or the Colour of Spring by Talk Talk, Out of Time by Beth Gibbons (ex Portishead) and Rusting man (ex Talk Talk), Blue Lines by Massive Attack (Portishead's fellow Bristolians), the Blue Nile (esp High or Peace At Last), Nick Drake, Wild Wood by Paul Weller, Al Green, Mazzy Star (great late night stuff again), Iron and Wine, Calexico (esp Hot Rail), or maybe a bit of reggae..but it's fun to headbang away to Whitesnake, Zep, Queen etc sometimes when your feminine side needs a rest. happy listening and darkrooming!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions Black Dog. I did a search and found a CD called "Ladies Sing the Blues" with Ella and Billie. I will order it Monday. One of the drawbacks of living in a country town is always having to wait for goods and having to pay for delivery. Paper and chemicals can be quite a challenge to access too. Cheers. Carol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Thanks for the suggestions Black Dog. I did a search and found a CD called "Ladies Sing the Blues" with Ella and Billie. I will order it Monday. One of the drawbacks of living in a country town is always having to wait for goods and having to pay for delivery. Paper and chemicals can be quite a challenge to access too. Cheers. Carol.
    If you haven't heard much from either of these two artists, you are in for a revelation and a treat.

On the country side, If I may, I'd like to make a reccomendation. A Canadian group called "Blackie and the Rodeo Kings", who are sometimes also known by their acronym "BART". They have three recordings, and all are very fine. The first is entitled "High or Hurting" (I think - its in my car), the second is a double CD entitled Kings of Love and the third is just titled BARK. My favorite is the second. They consist of three very experienced and fine musicians, vocalists and song writers - Colin Linden, who is a fine producer and blues guitarist, Stephen Fearing, who has a folk background, and Tom Wilson, who has years of rock and blues experience. They were inspired to get together and play by their common love of the songs of Willie P. Bennett, and many of their songs were written by him (thus the country feel), but there is much more there too.

They are also absolutely wonderful live - I and my wife saw them last year in Vancouver at the Vancouver East Cultural centre, which is an old converted church, which probably seats no more than 200. They just mesmorized the crowd, although I think they were at least slightly intimidated by the rapt attention - they have been touring and playing more in clubs and bars then in concert venues.

Come to think of it, although they use electric and electronic tools, there show is very "analogue". They are able to create their beautifully latered and complex sounds essentially by using only their guitars (both acoustic and electric) and their voices. At their show, there was no other musicians - no drummer, and no keyboards or bass. Their very different guitar stylings and their fine vocals provided all that was necessary.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Matt. I will look out for them. I love finding new music to listen to and have never stuck to one particular style. Music should fit your mood. Cheers.
    Carol.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    After discovering that Agfa are discontinuing APX 400, I definitely feel in need of some relaxing mellow tunes (luckily I have about 50 or 60 rolls left). I've added a freezer to my list of darkroom kit anyway. Oh yes, forgot to mention Solid Air by John Martyn -a timeless gem .
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin