Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,187   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Yes I'm an idiot, I bought the wrong JOBO! Arggggggggh!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen (on a different thread)
    Here is the info on the CPE2 on jobo's site: http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/cpe2plus.htm. It states that you can't use an expert drum with it. You can use a 2500 series drum and the 2509 reels, however, so you can get those and do 4X5. Larger sizes you could do in print drums, some folks have reported good results, but Jobo seems to not support it.
    Paul, I had visited the JOBO site before and never found what I really should have been consulting a damn comparison chart! http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/produ...comparison.htm

Oh boy what an idiot I am; it wasn't poor eyesight that made me mistake a CPA with a CPE it was stupidity.

Putting it up for a vote, should I turn around and re-sell this CPE and look for a CPA? I'm thinking I will be driven to distraction everytime I look at the damn thing and be totally unsatisfied with the results of 8x10 sheet film in a paper drum

I'm going to go beat myself senseless while you all decide.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Bob,

I would probably invent some insane rationalization for keeping both.<g>

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you already have the CPE-2, try it and see. You may find using the paper drums for 810 is fine. If not, then you can put it back on ebay - you'll probably get much the same as you paid for it - who knows, might even make a small profit!

Incidently, anyone know WHY the expert drums do not work on the CPE-2 with a lift? Is it that they physically will not fit or is it that they are too heavy for the motor?

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    Dear Bob,

I would probably invent some insane rationalization for keeping both.<g>

Neal Wydra
    Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a new 35mm or medium format camera?

You might try it out and see. Ask Denis P about his experience doing 4X5 in a film drum as if it were a print drum. He was happy with the outcome. Except for the obvious quantity limitations you will face, it might be pretty darned good.

Either that or sell it here on APUG for what you have in it. You may be able to do that here and save a lot of hassle. Heck, if you were willing to take a massive loss, I would take it.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a new 35mm or medium format camera?

You might try it out and see. Ask Denis P about his experience doing 4X5 in a film drum as if it were a print drum. He was happy with the outcome. Except for the obvious quantity limitations you will face, it might be pretty darned good.
    Yep, I have Jobo CPE (not the CPE-2, which is newer, but plain old CPE) - but with lift... I think a Jobo unit without lift is just too much hassle - taking the drum off, etc... BTW, do you have to pour the chemistry in the drums with magnets (without cog gears) in the dark? That's another downside, if true...

Anyway, I have 2 large drums - 2551 (film drum for 5 reels of 35mm film or 3 reels of 120 format), and a print drum #4531 (which I haven't used yet....).

The reason why an Expert drum won't fit is that it's physically bigger (bigger diameter!).

However, you can still get good results with CPE (or CPE2) and 8x10 negatives, with a little ingenuity - like the link I already posted - see here:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/porte-film-jobo.html

BTW, that print drum is the same one I have....

I also have a smaller drum (#2523, courtesy of Paul Sorensen ), with which I got excellent results without a reel of any kind - just sticking the 2 negs to the inner wall of the drum. The development came out perfect. See the thread here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/19737-my-first-time-4x5.html

Since I seem to be having some problems with 2509N reel for 4x5, I just might make a DIY variation of that DIY link I provided above - only for the smaller 2523 drum, so that I can develop 3 negs (4x5) at once.

Another possibility, if you want to be able to do more negs at once, is to use a similar gadget in one of the larger drums - film or print drums.

So, you don't have to get rid of the CPE-2 and spend a fortune on an Expert drum.
    Check out the link I provided above (in French, but you'll get the idea) and make something like that yourself, or have something like that made - the link shows neg "carrier" for 5x7 negs, if I'm not mistaken. The same principle (with different measures, of course) should apply to 8x10 negs.

HTH,

Denis

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    if you were willing to take a massive loss, I would take it.

Paul.
    Okay, it's yours for $100 + shipping (which was $16.50 to me) I'll not even unpack it, just take it off my doorstep when it comes, slap your address on it and head to the P.O.

No I'm not kidding. I'm that disgusted with myself and want it out of my life before I even see it!

The problem with all the kind suggestions is that I'm quite obsessive-compulsive and I know that the lack of perfection inherent in any jury rig will drive me nuttier than I already am.

So, there ya go Paul, as mom told you be careful what you offer, someone just might take you up on it!

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bob, if it's any consolation, I'm obssesive as well. And, I'm after the best quality neg I can make. Therefor, my CPP-2 sits bone dry as I've learned I must hand process my negs to make them what I want them to be!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WRONG???

I use a CPE-2 for film development, sheets up to 30x40cm in a 2840 paper drum. My CPE-2 is old enough that the instruction book explains how to do it.

If you're "totally unsatisfied with the results of 8x10 sheet film in a paper drum" it's not the drum, nor the CPE-2, that's at fault.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the CPE-2 with the 2840 paper drum for 8x10 film, and have nothing but perfect results...

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I'm back; I stuck my head in a bucket of Rodinal and I feel much better (damn that stuff is good for everything!)

Anyways, seems I scared Paul off with my offer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    WRONG??? I use a CPE-2 for film development, sheets up to 30x40cm in a 2840 paper drum. My CPE-2 is old enough that the instruction book explains how to do it.
    Bless you Ole for posting that! And I'm now much calmer and will go back and check out the all great suggestions from all my fellow APUGers.

How about that, a slug of Rodinal and the comfort of APUG has worked better then a pound of Prozac and a couple of grand in psychiatrist bills!

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin