Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone have a Componon-S 135mm that can tell me something

I'm looking into this enlarger lens. A componon-s 135mm. The retaining ring is called:
    M50.0x0.75
    Some places say it is a 42mm retaining ring. Perhaps that is an older version. But from Schneider Optics web site, it is a pdf file that has M50.0x0.75. I'm guessing that is a 50mm retaining ring thread?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have that lens but ya a M50 is a 50mm ring. You'll also need a board with a 50mm mount. Best to buy a used lens with a ring if you can. The cost of a new ring isn't much less then a whole used lens today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I don't have that lens but ya a M50 is a 50mm ring. You'll also need a board with a 50mm mount. Best to buy a used lens with a ring if you can. The cost of a new ring isn't much less then a whole used lens today.
    Great thanks. What I'm trying to do, is use a 135mm lens on my Beseler 23CXLII. I need the lens extended so I can focus. Beseler has a 5/8" extended lensboard that is 39mm opening. Omega makes 1/2" extended plates with 50mm threaded. I can screw the lens on that and then Mcguyver the plate onto a Beseler lensboard.
    1/2" extension may be enough but I may need something sligtly longer.
    An email to Beseler suggested I use cardboard as spacers. Interesting. I guess I can use a piece of thick plastic with a hole as an added spacer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon 135mm is a 39mm mount. They don't give a flange focal length on the website. Maybe email them and ask. If you know the flange distance you can figure out how much extension you really need.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/specific...=541&catId=152

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nikon 135mm is a 39mm mount. They don't give a flange focal length on the website. Maybe email them and ask. If you know the flange distance you can figure out how much extension you really need.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/specific...=541&catId=152
    That's interesting. I didn't think about the flange thing. But I've seen lots of Nikon 135mm that is also 50mm thread. Guess I just have to find the right one. Thing is, Adorama has a Componon-S for under a sawbuck. The Nikon is a sawbuck and a half. I think it is easier to just get an enlarger lens that has a 39mm thread. More options with lensboards. Omega even has a longer extension plate with 39mm holes.

Thing is, I want to be able to use my 16x20 good easel. If I use my 80mm, I have to put the head down and the easel won't fit the baseboard. I'll have to push it towards the back of the enlarger and it hits the legs. If I have a longer lens, I can raise the head and still keep using the 16x20 easel. Also, I like to make small postcard prints from 120 size film so I think I need a longer lens.
    Thanks Nick!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a 135mm componon-s listed in the classifieds. I had ordered the retaining ring from b&h and it didn't fit. I finally found one for sale but allready had the lens mounted using mounting tape which worked just as well. I measured the diameter of mine and it looks like 42mm to me.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    I've got a 135mm componon-s listed in the classifieds. I had ordered the retaining ring from b&h and it didn't fit. I finally found one for sale but allready had the lens mounted using mounting tape which worked just as well. I measured the diameter of mine and it looks like 42mm to me.
    It's totally weird. I looked at keh.com and they have one that is 42mm thread. Adorama has one that is M50 thread. I guess a lot of research is needed to get the right lens and board. I need to get an extension so I have to take that into consideration. A 42mm extension plate is like 60 bucks. Ouch. A 1" extension is only 10 bucks but that's 39mm openening.
    This is getting more difficult

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pulling my old book off the shelf and blowing the dust off it. :o A 16x20 print from a 2"x2" negative is a 10X enlargement.

The formula I have is:

x=(m+1)/m*f

x the distance between negative and lens
    m the magnification
    f the focal length

With a 135mm lens you need 148.5mm or say 6"

If you're making 2"x2" print then you'll need 270mm or 10.7"

Everything in between is in between.

NB lens focal lengths aren't exact. When they sell you a 135mm it might be 134mm or 135.something. Plus the distance is to a the a point on the lens. I remember it's not the back of the lens. Maybe the aperture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard of the 50mm nikon mounts but never seen one. Somebody claimed it's just an adaptor mounted on the back of some older lenses. Who knows. They must have been made for 40 years or more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With a 135mm lens you need 148.5mm or say 6"
    If you're making 2"x2" print then you'll need 270mm or 10.7"
    Oh nooooo! Math! Nobody told me math was going to be involved
    Had to read this a few times to understand it. The first line above, I finally figured I need 6" between the lens and the neg. Same for the line below it.
    A 2x2" is pretty small. I probably won't make something that small
    Here's a link to a Nikon 135mm that has a 50-39mm adapter
    http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20200339.html
    I can then screw it to this:
    http://www.adorama.com/OG421924.html
    I can then screw the Plate onto a beseler lensboard. I can still probably extend it with some wood spacers that I can drill out.
    This is getting kinda complex.

The key is, whatever lens I get, I need to see if I can get an extended lensboard for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin