Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,891   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fil

Shooter
    Multi Format

Strange negative carrier

Hi all,

I somehow have ended up with a Beseler (? - not sure) negative carrier that has a strange size. The opening measures 76mm square, which is just over 3 inches. I've never heard of a 3 1/4 by 3 1/4 format, though.

Anyone know what kind of negative this is intended for?

cheers,
    fil
    ----
    good light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yea, that's Kodak's new digital format!
    Just kidding, I have not heard it either and I have all of the Beseler carriers you can think of. Except minox and 110. Maybe it's a special order size for some kind of document photo or yearbook etc.
    Maybe it's a factory blem! It might be minty for a collector who think they have everything. You can always email Beseler and they will tell you what it's all about. Is there a number on it?

Good luck and what a find,
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    may it be a full frame for 70mm square?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone might have had it made to square the negative on a:
    ... 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Super D Graphlex negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is that an electron microscope format?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have quite a few neg carriers for my Omega that were modified and because they were done well, you cant tell they arent factory. Of course I have some horrible abominations as well. Are you willing to part with it? I could use something like that for my 45.
    To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, — that is genius.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

fil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Oh yea, that's Kodak's new digital format!
    Just kidding, I have not heard it either and I have all of the Beseler carriers you can think of. Except minox and 110. Maybe it's a special order size for some kind of document photo or yearbook etc.
    Maybe it's a factory blem! It might be minty for a collector who think they have everything. You can always email Beseler and they will tell you what it's all about. Is there a number on it?
    Actually, I'm guessing it is a Beseler since I have Omega equipment and haven't seen a real Beseler carrier. It's circular with a tongue on the end. What's a standard Beseler size negative carrier diameter, and are they round or rectangular?

By the way, it definitely seems to be manufactured and not homemade, and has a black strip screwed to it as a 'stop' for the negative edge when you're lining the mysterious sized film up.

I'd post a d*****l picture, but this is APUG after all, so I will refrain unless you think it would be OK to do so.

cheers,
    ----
    fil
    ----
    good light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's round with a tongue then it sure sounds like a beseler. If it is a Beseler you should see a four digit number on the tongue. If it starts with a 2 then it's older. 8 and it's newer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like one of the old lantern slide sizes.

fil

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here's an image..

Quote Originally Posted by fil
    I'd post a d*****l picture, but this is APUG after all, so I will refrain unless you think it would be OK to do so.
    This discussion has gone every which way, so it's time to take a risk and post an image, which is below. Any new or confirmed guesses?

By the way, there are no numbers on the tongue so I guess it can't be a Beseler factory carrier. The overall carrier diameter is 5 3/4". And now that I think of it, the black strip which you see screwed to the carrier can't be for negative alignment since it goes on the OUTSIDE of the carrier opposite the side with registration pins.

This is getting quite interesting...

cheers,
    fil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mystery_negcarr.jpg  
    ----
    good light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin