Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,349   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Trays

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 20x24" drum for my jobo. These drums are meant to be used with RC paper. As such, they have little ridges which can leave marks on FB paper. I've tried using fiberglass window screening to line the drum. This seems to work. For big prints, this might be the way to go. However, I rarely make prints this big. That's why I'm building the slot processor, as it'll be more convenient for smaller sizes as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One tray and change chemistry. Or, several narrow trays, print is handled in trays by curling wih hands...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    Thanks for the advice.

I like the homemade tray ladder idea, but the large trays are heavy and floppy when full of liquid so it might be messy at times.
    Siphon,
    but not the orange and black one I bought, "Koehler Enterprises RA990 Transfer Pump." The hoses are too hard and thus difficult to control. They are spiral and work like a spring. One painting of my darkroom with fixer was enough to make me use a 2 ltr pitcher after clean up.

John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You can purchase very large tray , at a hydroponics store. these trays hold volumes of chemistry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Jerold, my tray rack is quite stable even when the trays are full of solution, though it's not 20x24. I don't imagine a bigger rack would be too bad, though, because the trays are supported along the entire length of the long dimension. On mine, I've left the top two tiers open at the front, so I have full access to the trays; I was concerned that it would weaken the rack, but it's still quite solid. The joints are all glued and screwed (heh). Check the pics I've (hopefully) attached.

Outofoptions, your double-decker sink idea is intriguing, but I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Would you have full access to the bottom deck, or would it be closed off for only the water bath?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tray-rack1.jpg   tray-rack2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm
    Hi Jerold, my tray rack is quite stable even when the trays are full of solution, though it's not 20x24. I don't imagine a bigger rack would be too bad, though, because the trays are supported along the entire length of the long dimension. On mine, I've left the top two tiers open at the front, so I have full access to the trays; I was concerned that it would weaken the rack, but it's still quite solid. The joints are all glued and screwed (heh). Check the pics I've (hopefully) attached.

Outofoptions, your double-decker sink idea is intriguing, but I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Would you have full access to the bottom deck, or would it be closed off for only the water bath?
    I think my biggest concern with a rack like this would be the potential of having chemistry from one of the higher trays splash or slosh (technical term) into one of the lower trays.

That concern might be met if you had two rows, and two columns, with developer, under water bath, and beside that, first fix, under second fix. obviously, you would need the extra room, plus a space for final water soak/wash and HCA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a crude version of a tray ladder in my first darkroom - I found an old wire shelf from a refrigerator, and a friend welded some legs on it. That allowed me to put the developer and stop on top, and the fix and rinse/holding tray on the bottom.

I think the key is to load the ladder for use from top to bottom. You certainly don't want to get any stop in your developer, but you can't avoid the converse. So put the developer above the stop, the fix below that, and if its a four level design, the rinse/holding tray on the bottom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you all. A basic question:

When handling prints, I don't like to put my hands in the chemicals. If I use tongs on the larger prints I tend to mar the emulsion. Any tips for wet print handling? thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all. A basic question:

When handling prints, I don't like to put my hands in the chemicals. If I use tongs on the larger prints I tend to mar the emulsion. Any tips for wet print handling? thanks.
    Nitrile medical examination gloves?

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you tried wearing gloves and using your gloved hands? Also, what sort of tongs are you using? My first set were all-plastic, and they tended to mar prints. I bought some bamboo tongs with rubber tips and those haven't caused me any problems. I've not done any prints larger than 11x14, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin