Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,223   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just started printing for the first time (also with an old Meopta) and could see myself in your story. It's so much of fun, and indeed... time flies and I always manage to print only half the stuff I had planned to....

Thanks Bob for the tip on odour-less fixer/stop. I need to check them out for my bathroom... ehm... darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually go into the darkroom with the intention to catch up on contact sheets... any enlargements completed are a bonus (bit like a days fishing... any fish are a bonus!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    I usually go into the darkroom with the intention to catch up on contact sheets... any enlargements completed are a bonus (bit like a days fishing... any fish are a bonus!)
    Oh boy, I'm glad it wasn't only me. I feel bad if all I got was contact sheets. I wind up doing at least a couple of 5x7 RC's so my wife will not say "is that all you did in the darkroom, a couple of contact sheets?" Or "when are you going to print all that stuff circled on the contact sheets"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just wait until you start mounting, matting, and creating personalised frames for the prints.

That's when the wife starts to mention not seeing you for a few days :-)

I've started to frame contact prints to cut out the enlarging phase :-))

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just started again this past summer & did 3 print sessions in the past week. Was using Kodak Polycontrast IV RC & Arista.EDU RC VC Glossy & then found an old open pack of Ilford Multigrade FB. I love the feel of FB. I'm using Clayton P20 print developer & Archival fixer. What FB paper do you all reccommend?

Craig

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So why would anyone want to give this up & use digital? I just can't understand why.

Welcome back!
    Charlie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    ... "when are you going to print all that stuff circled on the contact sheets"
    By this standard, I'm a "lifetime" behind on printing. :rolleyes:
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome back! I too, recently returned to the darkroom after a thirty year absence. It all comes back very quickly.
    One thing I have always done to save paper from accidentally turning on the lights is to save the envelope from a 25 sheet pack of paper; then, I buy a 100 sheet box of paper, and transfer 10- 20 sheets of paper from the box to the envelope. I then work out of that 'til I need to refill the envelope. That way I don't zap all 100 sheets if I should forget the subtle difference between red and white light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave_of_Tigers
    Welcome back!
    And welcome to you, hope it's as much fun for you as me !

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave_of_Tigers
    I buy a 100 sheet box of paper, and transfer 10- 20 sheets of paper from the box to the envelope. I then work out of that 'til I need to refill the envelope. That way I don't zap all 100 sheets if I should forget the subtle difference between red and white light.
    I bought a used paper safe (stuffed full of fogged color paper, for which I'd have had no use even if it weren't fogged) for $10 when a local camera store closed its darkroom. There's room in there for three stacks of 100 sheets of 8x10, and the door's on a spring so it closes when released. Unless something blocks the door, my paper is protected -- and I'm still in the habit of visually verifying that the safe is closed before switching on my inspection lighting, because even edge fogging plus loss of the top few sheets would be a major blow to my printing budget...

Nothing will save you if you open the paper safe in daylight, of course -- just it won't save you, with your method, if you forget to turn out the lights to transfer paper from the box to the envelope...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin