Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,263   Posts: 1,660,614   Online: 726

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cleaned up the old 67C a few weeks ago. It's been about 8 years since it was used last, that was in Minnesota. I've been developing film in the sink and scanning all along but missed the printing part. I don't want to start a flame war but I HATE INKJETS! I use the little headband LED lamps with the red LEDs. I haven't had the courage to tackle color printing again, I still have the old unicolor drum.

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't print for over 15 years - marriage, kids, work, etc. But last year I took a Zone System workshop. Well, I'm hooked again. My "new" enlarger, an Omega D2V, should be here tomorrow.

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format

A long & Winding Road

Just picked up Digiconvert's thread - well, I'm a newbie to all this! It really made me smile in recognition - I'm a returnee to everything after 25 years.
    So there I am, forced into retirement before I'm good and ready - what on earth am I going to be passionate about for the next 25 years? Yes, I'll get back into photography, especially B & W as I don't want to re-enter cibachrome world again! First on the shopping list are the cameras - spent hours on the phone and in stores only to be constantly told that film is finished and besides, no-one makes a fully manual 35mm camera anymore, so I buy a couple of Nikon bodies that have priority this and that and some lovely lenses, one of which is an auto-focus zoom. Well, suffice it to say that on my first day in the field, with contrajour lighting on vertical trees the auto lens couldn't cope and had a nervous breakdown - the priority thingy refused to let me bracket my shots and the led lights were dashing up and down the viewfinder like a fairground ride. It's the nearest I've ever come to throwing a camera into the river - I think I screamed very loudly instead.
    Time to re-think all this and a chance enquiry when I was put through to the wrong (?) department at the Nikon dealers told me there was indeed a fully manual body made called the FM10 - Yippee - bought two, sold the two priority things and the neurotic auto-focus zoom and bought another manual zoom. Right, off I go again into the field - gosh the image does look a bit small through the viewfinder or is it just my failing eyesight? anyway into the darkroom (equiped from a gone-to-digital friend) and printing for the first time in 25 years - no running water as its the spare bedroom so into the bathroom next door to washs the prints - enter the cats into the darkroom and decide the easel is the best place to have a scratch and a wash. Time to re-think this - plus the negatives really do seem small and the prints won't go up to 12 x 16 - I know, I'll go to medium format and get the darkroom plumbed with hot and cold running water. Started off lusting after 4 x 5 but realised my knees won't support that plus a humungous tripod so look at 6 x 7 - still too heavy but bewitched by the engineering of them - can't afford a Hassy and after looking through 6 x 6 prisms realise I find the square format too wierd for words - next one down the line is 645 and find my niche at last with a beautiful new Bronica ETRsi a REAL camera that has a mirror lock, a hyperfocal distance scale and an infrared indicator - what utter bliss. Lots of backs, a couple of longer lenses, assorted filters, a brilliant used Gossen Lunasix F lightmetre and look out landscapes! Last but not least, had a stainless steel sink made to my specifications - this is sitting in my hallway along with most of the rest of the darkroom waiting for the #@%**#@ plumber to grace me with his presence, "well, it might be this week but I'll really try for next week or the week after etc. etc." So, a long and winding road indeed - a two and a half year journey so far and my accountant still dreads hearing the words "I need some more money please" from me - I'm sure he's dying to scold me for all the waste and seems incredulous that anyone would go to these lengths just to produce a "photo" but we all know that its the journey that counts as much as the destination don't we.
    Patricia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin