Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,369   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Those little darkroom lights

You know the ones I mean. There on your extension cords. stereos, timers and other things. I recently moved into a new house and built a new darkroom in the garage. Very comfortable but a bit snug. Just enough room for the Elwood 8x10 , Omega 4x5 and a sink big enough for 20x24 prints. Living on the Gulf Coast you quickly realize that the summer is not the time to be out making photographs. Its the time to be in a nice air conditioned darkroom. I've been printing in this darkroom since June and everything was going smoothly. Until i developed a batch of 8x10 film. It all had a base fog on it. .5 above the fb. Pretty heavy. I have a new camera so I examined it almost microscopically. No leaks. Took a sheet of film from 6 different boxes of film. All fogged. I really knew it wasnt in the camera because the edges were also fogged. So I figured that somehow in the move, although I was careful, it picked up heat fog. So I'm in the dr thinking, thinking and notice all those littlepinpoints of light. That couldn't be it. I've been doing this for 35 years . I know better. 42 little points of light including from three timers, 2 gra labs. Another test. One sheet form each box of film. ALL red and green pinpoints eliminated. No fog. Base as clear as glass. The moral of this story? Well Yogi might say, "your darkroom aint really a dark darkroom unless its dark"
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another case for black electrical tape!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had the same problem Jack. It's difficult to buy any electrical item that doesn't have a neon or LED on it. I cut as many of the little *%* out as I could get at, the reminder are covered with black duct tape.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel your pain. (been there, done that)
    • The new RHDesigns timer has an "off" switch! (and does not glow in the dark)
    • Gralab 167 also does not glow in the dark, and replaced the 300.
    • Stereo - except for the speakers and an analog volume control - is outside the DR door.
    • No led's or pilot lights in power strips or extention cords.
    • Everything else is on a switched circuit, so when I'm loading film, it can all be turned off.
    A bit of effort (and "AR" attention to detail ), but it can be done.

I even take my watch off. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a question, will gralab 300s fog film? I leave mine hanging up all the time even when developing film, and have had no noticable results untill now. The LEDs in my GFC outlets are all covered, and I do remove a time-o-lite timer because its entire face glows a brighter green then the Gralabs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by josephaustin
    I have a question, will gralab 300s fog film? I leave mine hanging up all the time even when developing film, and have had no noticable results untill now. The LEDs in my GFC outlets are all covered, and I do remove a time-o-lite timer because its entire face glows a brighter green then the Gralabs.

I develop all my sheet film in trays directly in front of an old Time-O-Lite unit on the wall that does indeed glow, but it's never been a problem. I have a metronome that blinks as well as ticks. I cover the blinking red light with the rear lens cap from a long since departed lens. Everything else has black duct or electrical tape over the glowing parts which has been sufficient to eliminate any problems.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a question, will gralab 300s fog film? ... I do remove a time-o-lite timer because its entire face glows a brighter green then the Gralabs.
    Probably not. However, it bugged me. (see the "AR" reference in my other post :rolleyes: )

I didn't buy the Gralab 167 to replace the glowing 300. I bought it because it has waterproof switches (it's my film timer on the wet side), and because they sell on Ebay for pennies. The fact that it does not have a glow in the dark face was a bonus.

I know what you mean about the Time-O-Lites! They're bright! :o

Cheers, y'all.

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Joseph'
    I have to assume my fogging was caused by the total amount of red and green light that was in the room. The timer is a Gra-Lab 300. Now it faces the wall with a towel over it when film is being loaded or developed.
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thrilled to hear that I'm not the only person in the world who put a darkroom in the garage. In Tenn. you have some problems in winter, unless you don't mind blowing out your electric bill with the space heater.
    I haven't had much problem with light leaks. A new garage door helped fix that. My Gra-Lab 300 hangs over the sink, but I haven't had any problems with fog.
    I also do some studio work in the garage. (In case you haven't figured it out yet, the cars stay in the driveway.) I leave a backdrop stand up with some backdrops hung on it, which helps seperate the "darkroom" area from the rest of the garage. I've tray developed film on sunny days with no problems.
    The only light problem I really have is with the big green one on the D/A converter that sits on top of the CD player. I just throw some black velvet over it. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by josephaustin View Post
    At the college where I am taking beginning photography as a non traditional aged student, we used a paper darkroom for loading film, since the film ones were too busy. We turned all the timers to the partitions, and it was fine. Then someone who was done earlier got stupid and turned on the safelights after one person said they were done. "Oh, I thought everyone was done!" They had been told to turn them back on when people had finished. Anyway, those who had their film safely away didn't have fogging from the timers. I now am using a changing bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin