Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,262   Online: 970

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Currently, I use three films and three developers; one developer I only use occasionally, one is used for 400 speed film, and the other is for my slower films. I base the film speed on light conditions at the time of exposure, not a personal EI, and I am completely happy with my results. I get negatives that I can print easily and I get the details that I want in shadows and highlights. No testing for me, thanks. I don't criticize those that do testing, but I personally get results that I am happy with without testing.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have found happiness in using two films and one developer. Tri-X at 200 and T-Max 100 at 50 both in D-76 1+1. And yes, tested for speed, time and temp. While I know and use the Zone system and BTZS I don't take it to seriously. If photographing a woods along the river on a foggy winter day, I think it should look like a foggy day. I would tend to adjust contrast in the darkroom as I felt it might be needed. In a high contrast scene I would be more inclined to use the BTZS if I had the time to make the notes. Otherwise I would just mark it N- on the holder.

Knowing your true film speed is very important. I think the N+ and N- is less so. Modern paper is very easy to work with. As long as it's made, that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Clapton tune his guitar ? That is what film testing is to a photographer.

And NOT to some arbitrary standards, but to specific needs. That is what Ansel preached.

I test regularly, and faithfully. It doesn't take long, and since I have less time than money, it is the most important thing I do. Losing a shot because I was lazy and muddleheaded is unforgivable. Even if I just shoot with 35mm.

The FACT of the matter is that box speed only has relevance in a lab setting. What do you want the picture to look like ? What are your standards ?

Now you tell us: do you feel the need to test ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a chart with all the different test hanging on my darkroom wall. When I have some film to process it is easy to look up and decide on time. I don't do it with every batch of film I buy. The consistency seem to be pretty good. I have not done any paper tests. I think what I see visually is what is important, rather then how deep my blacks are, on a densitometer.

Also the title is confrontational and useless to this discussion. I agree with others that you would get more visits if you changed it.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't "test" - I try.

First I try a roll/sheet at box speed, and develop in a "normal" developer at recommended time (for diffusion enlarger). That tells me what the speed is like, what the contrast is like, and whether I like it.

The next sheet or roll will be developed according to my experiences the first time - speed enhancing developer if it's already exposed before I developed the first one (very common with sheet film), or a little more exposure, or longer or shorter development.

To pull the guitar analogy to the ridiculous: I have perfect pitch, so I don't need an electronic tuning gizmo. Not even a tuning fork.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I don't "test" - I try.

To pull the guitar analogy to the ridiculous: I have perfect pitch, so I don't need an electronic tuning gizmo. Not even a tuning fork.
    Yes.

But it's funny to me how many folks today will "buy the best guitar"
    and not know what those little peg things are for....

Wasn't it in tune last year ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't tested with a densitomiter since my densitometer blew up a few years ago, and I haven't replaced it, but having used one for a while, I've got a much better handle on what a good neg looks like and how it should print than I used to. So if I try a new film/developer combination, I can look at the negs and see if I'm getting enough shadow detail, and adjust EI accordingly, and I can look at my proofs and see if my contrast is reasonable, and adjust development time accordingly.

Just one "l" in "Ansel," by the way, and more question marks don't make for a more important question.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I don't "test" - I try.

First I try a roll/sheet at box speed, .....

The next sheet or roll will be developed according to my experiences the first time .....
    This is how I would describe what I do. I enjoy the "adventure" of experimentation as much or maybe more than I enjoy the act of photography and/or the developing. I "play" with my gear and while I have far more negatives that I like less than ones that I like more, I learn from every one. It's the learning and experimentation that I enjoy.

to each their own ...

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give J. B a break. We all have titled threads in off handed ways. It was a valid question he was curious about. Why not post the question here as opposed to sending him to PN? Who among us has not made a spelling error?

I've tested my film a few times. I find myself doing things more like Ole.
    Non Digital Diva

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Give J. B a break. We all have titled threads in off handed ways. It was a valid question he was curious about. Why not post the question here as opposed to sending him to PN? Who among us has not made a spelling error? ...
    I've taken the liberty of removing the offending superfluous "l".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin