Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,749   Online: 877

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I test every batch of film and developer. I do zone I, V and VIII and read the result on a densitometer. I buy my film in large batches of the same emulsion, anywhere from 300-500 rolls at a time, I buy my developer, same batch only, in a batch of about 20 at a time.

Testing is important to me, it further adds to my own consistency of processing, eventhough I use a JOBO, and it makes certain that I don't spend 6 weeks on the road and come back with defective film.

In spite of all of my testing I have had a problem, as I discovered that the paper backing on Kodak T-max100, the new stuff, had left the frame number and words "kodak..." on the live area of my film. That is the ink that is used to print the frame numbers on the 120 film backing paper must have not fully dried when Kodak rolled it onto the film, making the wet ink mark the film emulsion with "kodak" and "1","2" "3" etc. Fortunately it did not happen on all rolls, unfortunately it ruined several rolls and some important images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Give J. B a break. We all have titled threads in off handed ways. It was a valid question he was curious about. Why not post the question here as opposed to sending him to PN? Who among us has not made a spelling error?

I've tested my film a few times. I find myself doing things more like Ole.
    Like Aggie I was a little surprised by how little slack some subscribers were willing to give J.B. I know we have had to put up with one or two posts recently from "newcomers" which were examples of "grinding their own axes" but I suspect some of us have become a little too wary and /or sensitive.

Have a look at J.B.'s other threads. I did out of curiosity and could find no real edge to them. I feel his post was essentially a straight question. If his real hidden agenda is " death to the zonies or those who hold different opinions" like a certain Michael who was rightly chased away then we'll know about it soon enough.

J.B. APUG is usually very laid back and that's our strength. Long may we keep it that way and I am sure we will.

For what it is worth I have kept to manufacturers speed until very recently when I was particulary impressed with some prints in a Roger Hicks book and decided to try his speeds and developer(HP5+ and FP4 at 320 and 80 in Perceptol) - just for fun. This wasn't scientific. The prints from the negs were better than previously(in ID11) but not appreciably so. However I did learn things.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Give J. B a break. We all have titled threads in off handed ways. It was a valid question he was curious about. Why not post the question here as opposed to sending him to PN? Who among us has not made a spelling error?

I've tested my film a few times. I find myself doing things more like Ole.
    I don't mind the question, which is fine. It's the title that needs work! I didn't mean to offend when I said the title seemed more like a pnet thread title. The question, and the many thoughtful responses, do belong here.

There is a cult of anti zone system folks on pnet - very hostile to those who use the zone system. I wouldn't want to send anyone here away to that place!

You don't have to follow the zone system to get nice results. However, many folks here seem to test in an informal way (shoot and adjust = test). Whatever works for each person is fine.

Robert

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    remember the anti zoner here on apug...Scarpetti?

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post your replies everyone. For what its worth,I am not a Zonie. Since having little time to do the full testing required to qualify as such. I do however take the time to adjust my ASA rating when using a film that is NEW to me, and then adjust development til my negs print good whites with texture on grade 2.5 Multigrade......Works for me,and thats what counts!! (Currently using Tri-x at 200ASA in Ilfosol 1:9 6 mins) J.B.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg
    Just out of pure curiosity,how many of you test your films to find out YOUR individual effective speed in everyday use, and how many are content to trust the manufacturer in this respect ????????? J.B.
    Yes, but only to a point, since I can't change my development times. However, based upon experience over the years, I have found that rating Fuji Velvia 50 at 40 works quite well for me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    remember the anti zoner here on apug...Scarpetti?

lee\c
    Lee,

I think he's back:

Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    Wrong forum! Wrong spelling also...
    :rolleyes:
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    Lee,

I think he's back:

:rolleyes:
    Hmmm .... I thought the same thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post your replies everyone. For what its worth,I am not a Zonie. Since having little time to do the full testing required to qualify as such. I do however take the time to adjust my ASA rating when using a film that is NEW to me, and then adjust development til my negs print good whites with texture on grade 2.5 Multigrade......Works for me,and thats what counts!! (Currently using Tri-x at 200ASA in Ilfosol 1:9 6 mins) J.B.
    Well, that's testing, even if it isn't too intensive!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Hmmm .... I thought the same thing.
    I doubt it. I cannot see the other person offering info on obtaining Rodinal and certainly not without a barbed comment on its inferiority to say Paterson FX39 which was a favourite of the said Michael.

Sorry Petzi. It's just that the guy in question had a long history on this and other sites such as Ilfopro and has left us a little paranoic with good reason. A pity. I think he probably had a lot of useful experience but couldn't recognise when the useful discussion was over and it was time to agree to disagree and move on to other topics.

Pentaxuser

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin