Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,567   Online: 873

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stumbled across this heated dog mat a couple of years ago and thought it might have potential under my developer tray.

Dog Mat

Waterproof and rugged but a bit pricey, perhaps.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu
    Waterproof and rugged but a bit pricey, perhaps.
    If it wasn't for "your #1 hunting buddy", it would probably go for $29.99.

My basement darkroom gets pretty cold in the winter, so this is a great thread for me. Thanks for all the ideas, people!
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wayne

The aquarium heaters I used were rated for salt water. I'm not sure or able to debate stainless vs.titanium-I suspect alot has to do with marketing.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I went and picked up a stainless steel, 75 watter today. I figured it would last a long time with intermittant use even if it wasnt intended for salt water, but when I got it home I saw that it said fresh OR salt. Made me happy since they were on sale for 12 bucks. Even the plastic submersibles look like they would work fine, though I dont know if they sink like the SS does. I just set it right down in the bottom of the tray. I've been experimenting with using it in an 11x14 tempering bath around my usual 8x10 developing tray. This helps ease my considerable paranoia about sticking my hands into liquids with electrical appliances in them (yes I have a GFI). So far it looks like it will work pretty good if I agitate the 11x14 tray regularly. I could use a circulating pump, I have one laying around somewhere if I need to. Using just enough water to cover the heater in the big tray I only need about 1.2-1.3 liters of solution to keep my 8x10 tray from free-floating in it. I'll give it its first field trial tomorrow

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My heater worked great last night, didnt need a pump. I started it up in the 11x14 tray about 1.5 hours early and it kept my 8x10 tray at 68-69 degrees all night. I had to set it a few degrees higher than that. I recommend one, I just have to remember to unplug the darn thing when I'm done, or get a timer.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use a seed propagator heater in winter. It just happens to keep the developer at 68 degs, give or take a bit, and cost 50p at a car boot sale. Perhaps this should have gone in the recent "Frugal photographer" thread!

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Many aquarioum stores carry two major types of heaters. The most common is like a cigar tube which hangs on the side of an aquariom and thus requires more chemical depth in order to function.
    The second type is about the size of a credit card and only 2-3 times as thick. It is covered with a rubbery plastic and is best used lying flat on the bottom of the tray. It is necessary to get one made to operate in the appropriate temperature range.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wasn't 'cold darkroom warm chemicals' a Tom Waits track? Sounds like it should be?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    Many aquarioum stores carry two major types of heaters. The most common is like a cigar tube which hangs on the side of an aquariom and thus requires more chemical depth in order to function.
    The second type is about the size of a credit card and only 2-3 times as thick. It is covered with a rubbery plastic and is best used lying flat on the bottom of the tray. It is necessary to get one made to operate in the appropriate temperature range.

Things seem to be changing rapidly in the field of aquarium heaters. The glass one I bought just five years ago looks like a dinosaur, and it is only for vertical use. The one I bought last week is one of the cigar types, but of stainless steel and it can be used horizontally. Mine just lays down in the groove in the 11x14 tray so not a huge amount is needed to cover it. I would guess its only 2.5 or 3 liters, but since its only water I have had no need to measure it. I've used it 3-4 times now and I love it. Best 12 dollars I ever spent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    I had a look at the credit card sized ones as they tend not to blow if taken out of the water. The one I looked at heated liquid 2 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature, so if it's only 15 degrees in the room it's not going to do much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin