Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,162   Online: 985

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Claire Senft; air-condition the darkroom. Even the smallest cheapest unit will do the job. You will be in there for hundreds of hours and you will use up thousands of dollars worth of sensitive materials. If you are addle-pated with heat and humidity you and your work will both suffer in ways that cost more than a tiny air-conditioner.

Sure enough when I built my new darkroom the air-con was central to the design. When heat wave conditions prevail I actually contrive to spend the day in the cool darkroom...ah, sybaritic bliss!

As for hot tap water, I've given up the fight. Modern films are surprisingly resistant to high temperature processing. A favorite easy to remember combination I use is Fomapan 200 in Xtol, 32 Celcius, 3 minutes 20 seconds; works a treat and the emulsion never melts or floats off.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shoot color.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wish I had that problem. In the middle of summer the hottest it gets in my darkroom is 20C. But then again it's easier to warm it up than cool it down I guess.

In fact just turned on the heater in the darkroom so I can work in there tonight.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a night owl so it's a rare late night that's too
    hot to work. Generally the coolest hours are
    about three hours prior to and first two
    hours after dawn. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never had a problem with it. Way back when in Brussels I shared a darkroom with another fella. It was in the roof of a 5-storey building. In summer is was DISGUSTINGLY HOT in there. Really, it was awful. But I printed, couldn't notice any diff from when it was winter (and then it wasn't tooooo cold). Now I'm here in Melbourne Australia with the darkroom finally set up, and the long hot dry summer is on it's way. I have wondered how it might be, but I reckon the fact that I'm on the shaded side of the building might keep things comfortable enough in the darkroom.... even make it a haven from the heat. And that's the thing, the main issue to me is comfort, because I'm simply using humble chems like Ilford Multigrade etc, which I find to be quite resilient. If anything it might exhaust quicker - so I just make a new lot, it doesn't exactly break the bank this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    In summer I only wear boxer shorts in the DR (apologies for any nightmare visions!). It also helps to only work for 30 minutes at a time to can get some air through periodically. I also keep several litres of water on the bottom shelf of the fridge ready to cool chems.
    Haha! and I thought I was the only one who blundered around the darkroom in underwear! You know you're too far gone when you're lith printing drunk at 3AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin