Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,469   Online: 893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hot darkroom, hot chemicals, hot water, hot allround

Hi all, I just saw a thread on it being too cold in your darkroom on your side of our planet, so I thought I'd have a heat vent.

It's over 37+C again today (and we're the lucky city at the moment - other cities have been really sweltering above 40+C) and we still don't have air-conditioning in our house yet. Crazy, I know! It is a priority but there are still others further up the list that I can't dodge yet.

So, my darkroom is very hot and humid, the tap water is so hot it burns, takes forever to cool down and even then flows with uncontrollable 'hot spots' coming through. It's very difficult to keep chemical temps cool and relatively consistant and even more difficult to keep me cool under all this.

So apart from shipping some snow my way, pleeease do ....

What are your best tips to keep your cool without airconditioning in your darkroom? (on a budget) My darkroom is a pretty good setup considering it's temporary until my big one gets finished out the back.

Hmm, I think I may build my new darkroom into a commercial coolroom (so I can store my couple of bottles of Merlot perfectly as well).

Kindest regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicole,

I can ship some "snow" your way, but I don't think it would cool things down! LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    Hi all, I just saw a thread on it being too cold in your darkroom on your side of our planet, so I thought I'd have a heat vent.

It's over 37+C again today (and we're the lucky city at the moment - other cities have been really sweltering above 40+C) and we still don't have air-conditioning in our house yet. Crazy, I know! It is a priority but there are still others further up the list that I can't dodge yet.

So, my darkroom is very hot and humid, the tap water is so hot it burns, takes forever to cool down and even then flows with uncontrollable 'hot spots' coming through. It's very difficult to keep chemical temps cool and relatively consistant and even more difficult to keep me cool under all this.

So apart from shipping some snow my way, pleeease do ....

What are your best tips to keep your cool without airconditioning in your darkroom? (on a budget) My darkroom is a pretty good setup considering it's temporary until my big one gets finished out the back.

Hmm, I think I may build my new darkroom into a commercial coolroom (so I can store my couple of bottles of Merlot perfectly as well).

Kindest regards,
    Nicole
    Hi Nicole,

Funny you should mention the heat The other day here in Adelaide the shade temperature was 47 and the sun 59. My darkroom was inbetween untill I turned on the airconditioner.

Now combating the heat for chemicals is very easy. Freeze half a dozen 1.5 litre bottle that have a very strong water salt mix. Fill the bottles to about 6 CMS from the top allowing for expansion. Remove the labels and generally make the bottles very clean.

Get a 9 litre bucket and put the bottles in it and cover with water and within ten minutes the water will be about 10 - 14 c. You can now mix that very cold "clean" water with your developer and standard water to get a suitable temperature.

To cool the stop and fix get a suitable size container and make a water and ice mix [clean, not salted in this case] that will get very cold. You can now put the container with just the amount of stop needed for processing in that water ice mix and move it around and it will get to 20c rapidly. Do the same with the fixer.

Also get a container big enough to sit your tank in and have a bath of 20 water in it.

Night time processing with the door open works if you have a BIG fan.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3 parts chrushed ice + 1 part salt(NaCl) cools from 0 to -21 C
    1,2 parts ice + 1 part Magnesium chloride (MgCl2.7H2o) :-34 C
    1,4 Parts ice + 2 parts Calciumchloride (CaCl2.6H2O): -55
    Methanol + Dryice (CO2) :-77 C
    Ether And dryice : -100 C
    Apart from the last 2 they should all be practical to use.
    Regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    1 1/2 oz. Tequila
    3/4 oz. Triple Sec (or Cointreau)
    Dash of Fresh lime juice

Shake with ice & serve in a salt rimmed glass on the rocks or strain to serve up Add more liquid and blend with ice for a frozen variation Garnish with a lime wedge
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder
    1 1/2 oz. Tequila
    3/4 oz. Triple Sec (or Cointreau)
    Dash of Fresh lime juice

Shake with ice & serve in a salt rimmed glass on the rocks or strain to serve up Add more liquid and blend with ice for a frozen variation Garnish with a lime wedge
    LOL
    Darned I forgot that one.
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In summer I only wear boxer shorts in the DR (apologies for any nightmare visions!). It also helps to only work for 30 minutes at a time to can get some air through periodically. I also keep several litres of water on the bottom shelf of the fridge ready to cool chems.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My point was that it is easy to cool down water to 20 C.
    Here i DK we get winegar in 5L plastic canisters. When I did B&W I used to keep water in some of those. One I'd cool down to whatever temp needed. You could place a canister in a a termobox an make a coolant you fill around it, Vupti you have some very cold water.
    Mix with some of your "hot" water to desired temp and................ you know..... Whoops, another one for the banned phrases thread
    Cheers Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep water in the fridge to use as a tempering agent for mixing and bath developement. Use an electric fan to keep the air moving and evaporation will help a little with the bath temperature. Film is the most critical part, but times for paper development can be managed by shortening. Just do a test for maximum black to see how much time you need and have the stop bath ready.

In Tucson I use "swamp coolers" on our house and the darkroom. It is just a sheet metal box with water, pads, a recirculation pump and a fan. Not as efficient as air conditioning, but on a dry day (6% humidity) it works very well. When the monsoon get here it just gets hot.

Iced tea for work, beer for relaxation. Cool thoughts for you and yours, tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I buy the small Blue Ice gel packs and keep them in the freezer. If things get too warm, I pop one in a plastic baggie/Ziploc bag and dip it into my chems to cool them down.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin