Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,232   Online: 732

Shooter
    35mm

Daylight Darkroom? Feasible?

I am one of those poor souls that never had the "prarper darkroom" experience.

Right now, I do not have access to a room that can be suitably modified for a darkroom.

So, I am wondering if the various "daylight" enlarger setups like the Daylab, would let me get good enough quality and control? Or should I just wait (or maybe look around for a new friend that does have darkroom access)?

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions all welcome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My understanding of the Daylab system, although I have never used one, is that it is for Polaroid materials only. I don't have a proper darkroom either, just a bathroom that I use for it's original purpose, and occasionaly for a darkroom. I simply use blackout fabric (for curtains) to block off the window and door. Works like a charm and the price was right (about $15 US). Of course an enlarger may cost more than $15, but you should be able to get one cheap...

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvEmacs
    I am one of those poor souls that never had the "prarper darkroom" experience.

Right now, I do not have access to a room that can be suitably modified for a darkroom.

So, I am wondering if the various "daylight" enlarger setups like the Daylab, would let me get good enough quality and control? Or should I just wait (or maybe look around for a new friend that does have darkroom access)?

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions all welcome.
    Hi. I don't know what the "Daylab" is. But you can use a computer with a scanner and see some results if you have shot on film. You need a workable screen also, and lately it's not expensive to find a good used one. But as far as the print quality goes, in my oppinion for B&W you'll likely be disappointed.

The idea is try not to print out any digital scan or fight with an inkjet printer because that will never end! But just for the viewing it's okay.

In order to print your pictures the way you want to when you go back to a wet darkroom someday, you'll have to spend some time to figure out. So, you could be sitting in front of the computer screen while staring at your scanned images but have no way of knowing how you could print them at the same time.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the tricky part if you go analog and digital back and forth. I've been trying to manage both and still unable to catch up printing some of my old pictures I took when I didn't have a darkroom. So the greater the duration is, the harder it becomes for you to print.

And you shouldn't rely on your friend(s) and their darkroom(s) because you never know what will happen to them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin